POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why we have juries Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:20:36 EDT (-0400)
  Why we have juries (Message 91 to 100 of 100)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Why we have juries
Date: 13 Feb 2010 16:21:01
Message: <4b7717bd@news.povray.org>
> I guess that would make the question moot...OK, so pick an analogous
> situation, then, I really just wanted to understand what you meant by
> "natural born citizen".

  One who can become the president of the United States.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 13 Feb 2010 17:01:00
Message: <4b77211c$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> I live in Utah, and AFAIK, permits are required here.  Perhaps I'm just
> not "southwest" enough?  I seem to recall that they're required in
> Arizona, though, and it's hard to get much more SW than Arizona....

Just for owning the gun? Or for carrying it? Or for concealing it? Three
different levels of paranoia there.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Forget "focus follows mouse." When do

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 13 Feb 2010 17:01:20
Message: <4b772130$1@news.povray.org>
>> Wasn't Jesus supposedly traveling for the roman census?
> I think you mean "Joseph and Mary", don't you?

I haven't memorized those tales. :-)

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 13 Feb 2010 19:14:18
Message: <4b77405a@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 16:21:01 -0500, Warp wrote:

>> I guess that would make the question moot...OK, so pick an analogous
>> situation, then, I really just wanted to understand what you meant by
>> "natural born citizen".
>
>   One who can become the president of the United States.

And in Finland the equivalent would be.....?

Jim

Post a reply to this message

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 14:01:20 -0800, Darren New wrote:

>>> Wasn't Jesus supposedly traveling for the roman census?
>> I think you mean "Joseph and Mary", don't you?
>
> I haven't memorized those tales. :-)

I was subjected to them in my youth. ;-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 14:01:00 -0800, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> I live in Utah, and AFAIK, permits are required here.  Perhaps I'm just
>> not "southwest" enough?  I seem to recall that they're required in
>> Arizona, though, and it's hard to get much more SW than Arizona....
>
> Just for owning the gun? Or for carrying it? Or for concealing it? Three
> different levels of paranoia there.

AFAIK, to own a gun here in Utah, you have to have a permit.  I believe
it's the same in Arizona.

Of course, there are plenty of people who do own them without permits,
but the question isn't whether people break the law, but whether it's
legal.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> AFAIK, to own a gun here in Utah, you have to have a permit.  I believe
> it's the same in Arizona.

Even long guns? That's surprising. Most places allow rifles and shot guns
without permits, given you cannot conceal them.

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 17:12:22 -0800, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> AFAIK, to own a gun here in Utah, you have to have a permit.  I believe
>> it's the same in Arizona.
>
> Even long guns? That's surprising. Most places allow rifles and shot
> guns without permits, given you cannot conceal them.

That might be the case here, never looked into that.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 16:21:01 -0500, Warp wrote:

> > Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:
> >> I guess that would make the question moot...OK, so pick an analogous
> >> situation, then, I really just wanted to understand what you meant by
> >> "natural born citizen".
> >
> >   One who can become the president of the United States.

> And in Finland the equivalent would be.....?

  The same as in the US? In other words, one who was born inside Finland.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 09:10:11 -0500, Warp wrote:

>> >   One who can become the president of the United States.
>
>> And in Finland the equivalent would be.....?
>
>   The same as in the US? In other words, one who was born inside
>   Finland.

How about an equivalent thing that only someone born in Finland can do?

(Sheesh, what we really have here is a serious failure to communicate)

Jim