POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Avatar Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:24:01 EDT (-0400)
  Avatar (Message 76 to 85 of 85)
From: Jim Charter
Subject: Re: Avatar
Date: 25 Jan 2010 01:20:45
Message: <4b5d383d@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Warp wrote:
>>   You could have different types of such characters.
>
> I read a fascinating book full of short stories called something like
> "tales from the catina."  It took all the zero-dimensional characters
> from Star Wars and wrote short stories/novelettes about each one. It
> also seemed like they were interconnected, as if each author was given
> the end of the previous story to start from.
>
> So there's a story about the guy playing keyboard in the Catina band,
> and how he's down on his luck, so he sells a blaster to the jawa who was
> cleaning up the dead bodies at the attacked jawa transport, who takes it
> and tries to get revenge on the empire by shooting the guards who
> believed these aren't the droids they were looking for, who go rough up
> the pig-faced guard to get an audience with Jaba the Hutt, who is in the
> process of talking to the monster trainer to get a new monster of the
> type Luke dropped the door on, etc etc etc.
>
> A very fun concept. I think they actually made two books full of such
> stories.

lol that's great.  Yes I am also reminded of the bass player in the
movie "Nashville" who keeps backing up different stage shows throughout
the movie.

Post a reply to this message

From: Captain Jack
Date: 25 Jan 2010 09:14:11
Message: <4b5da733$1@news.povray.org>

>  Do I understand correctly that when a character in a story exists
> basically
> for one single purpose (eg. to be a jerk, a greedy executive, a naive
> Mary Sue, or such) with no other personality traits or history, and when
> this character maintains the role in its purest form throughout the entire
> story, it's usually a bad case of two-dimensionality?

Not necessarily bad... as a character goes through his story and he meets
people, he may only see them for a moment. His first impression may be his
only impression. If we are seeing the story through his eyes, the character
will seem to lack depth, because the protagonist never sees it. Learning a
lot about characters which do not advance the plot would slow the pacing of
the story, and pacing is very important.

IMO, Avatar has excellent pacing. The energy of the story ebbs and flows
very nicely, and I felt very engaged by the whole thing. The story of Avatar
wouldn't work very well as a novel, unless they added an awful lot to it
(more about life on Earth, more about the side characters, and so on), but I
think it worked really well as a film. In a good film, the story is always
competing with the visual, and, to a lesser extent, with the music and
sound. A simple story is sometimes best in that kind of mix.

One of the things I do before an acting performance is to write a backstory
for my character. I list facts that happened in the character's life, even
if they have nothing to do with the story and they'll never come out in the
performance. What it does is to remind me that they character isn't just
words on a page, but a representation of a real person. It helps me to
understand why the character does what he does, and, I think, adds to the
performance, even for a minor character. I'd be willing to bet a large chunk
of change that Stephen Lang, as one of the artistic directors for the
Actor's Studio, did that before he did this movie.

--
Jack

Post a reply to this message