POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Sad News, one of us has passed over. Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:20:55 EDT (-0400)
  Sad News, one of us has passed over. (Message 11 to 20 of 20)
From: Doctor John
Subject: Re: Sad News, one of us has passed over.
Date: 14 Jan 2010 08:30:55
Message: <4b4f1c8f@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:
> I just had a phone call this afternoon from Steve Paget's son. Steve
> posted on these newsgroups as St. Sadly Steve passed away on the third
> of January.
> As well as being a contributor here Steve was the force behind the
> TC-RTC challenge and set it up at his own expense.
> I met him in RL a couple of times the last being just before Christmas
> when he was in fine fettle. He will be sorely missed.

Indeed he will. I only met him once but immediately took to him - if you
remember, Stephen, it was in the Jack Horner along with yourself and
Andrew. I wonder if he ever got to visit the Spanish Bar and the oldest
working jukebox in London. We were thwarted that night.

I will remember him as a genuine, warm-hearted human being and a
talented jewellery designer as well as an excellent POVer. On a lighter
note I will also remember him as being the person who managed to use a
Black Cab with the only driver who had no knowledge of the West End.

Requiescat In Pace

John
--
Cogito sum,|| wbu### [at] tznvypbz (rot'ed) || GPG Key Fingerprint:
ergo sum,  ||   These opinions are mine alone,   || 0D9BCF4CF1B71CA2F5F7

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 14 Jan 2010 15:21:44
Message: <4b4f7cd8$1@news.povray.org>
Doctor John wrote:
> Stephen wrote:

>> He will be sorely missed.
>>
> Indeed he will. I only met him once but immediately took to him - if you
> remember, Stephen, it was in the Jack Horner along with yourself and
> Andrew. I wonder if he ever got to visit the Spanish Bar and the oldest
> working jukebox in London. We were thwarted that night.
>
> I will remember him as a genuine, warm-hearted human being and a
> talented jewellery designer as well as an excellent POVer. On a lighter
> note I will also remember him as being the person who managed to use a
> Black Cab with the only driver who had no knowledge of the West End.
>
> Requiescat In Pace
>
> John

I met him a couple of times more as I am working close to where he
lived. We met up for a drink and a smoke just before Christmas and I

his funeral due to pressure of work.

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 14 Jan 2010 15:26:53
Message: <4b4f7e0d@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> On 13-1-2010 19:29, Stephen wrote:
>> I just had a phone call this afternoon from Steve Paget's son. Steve
>> posted on these newsgroups as St. Sadly Steve passed away on the third
>> of January.
>> As well as being a contributor here Steve was the force behind the
>> TC-RTC challenge and set it up at his own expense.
>> I met him in RL a couple of times the last being just before Christmas
>> when he was in fine fettle. He will be sorely missed.
>>
> Could you pass on our condolences to his son?

I will do that Andrel.

> I don't know who is selecting the next topic for the IRTC but can I make
> a suggestion? Let that be 'Last post' in honour of st.

business partner and suggest that. I may also inquire about what will
happen to the TC-RTC. If it is not too expensive I might offer to take
it on. Unfortunately I have no experience in site maintenance. :-(

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: stbenge
Date: 14 Jan 2010 15:48:51
Message: <4b4f8333$1@news.povray.org>
gregjohn wrote:
> So sorry to hear.  Makes me want to know folks as more than just a handle and a
> style of RT.

Me too, but I'm not very sociable unless I've had a few drinks. And I
just don't drink much these days. Besides, most everybody here seems to
live in the UK...

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 14 Jan 2010 16:43:03
Message: <4b4f8fe7$1@news.povray.org>
>>> He will be sorely missed.
>>
>> Indeed he will. I only met him once but immediately took to him - if you
>> remember, Stephen, it was in the Jack Horner along with yourself and
>> Andrew. I wonder if he ever got to visit the Spanish Bar and the oldest
>> working jukebox in London. We were thwarted that night.
>>
>> I will remember him as a genuine, warm-hearted human being and a
>> talented jewellery designer as well as an excellent POVer.
>
> I met him a couple of times more as I am working close to where he
> lived. We met up for a drink and a smoke just before Christmas and I

I thought he was a nice guy.

And I really hope somebody has something better than that to say about
me when I'm gone. o_O

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 14 Jan 2010 17:03:54
Message: <4b4f94ca$1@news.povray.org>
stbenge wrote:

> Dang! I guess we all go sometime, but dang. No more jewelry renders from
> him then :(

I'd say "he was a diamond geezer", but I don't want to cheapen this...
He did have a sense of humour though.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Stephen
Date: 14 Jan 2010 22:52:54
Message: <4b4fe696$1@news.povray.org>
stbenge wrote:
> gregjohn wrote:
>> So sorry to hear.  Makes me want to know folks as more than just a
>> handle and a
>> style of RT.
>
> Me too, but I'm not very sociable unless I've had a few drinks. And I
> just don't drink much these days. Besides, most everybody here seems to
> live in the UK...

Finland, France, Germany and the Netherlands seem to have a few English

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: M a r c
Date: 15 Jan 2010 03:25:33
Message: <4b50267d@news.povray.org>

4b4e1110$1@news.povray.org...
>I just had a phone call this afternoon from Steve Paget's son. Steve posted
>on these newsgroups as St. Sadly Steve passed away on the third of January.
> As well as being a contributor here Steve was the force behind the TC-RTC
> challenge and set it up at his own expense.
> I met him in RL a couple of times the last being just before Christmas
> when he was in fine fettle. He will be sorely missed.
>
> --
That's so sad :-(
Through his posts, he looked like a warm fellow and a real gifted artist

Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: M a r c
Date: 15 Jan 2010 03:28:55
Message: <4b502747@news.povray.org>

4b4fe696$1@news.povray.org...
> stbenge wrote:
>> Me too, but I'm not very sociable unless I've had a few drinks. And I
>> just don't drink much these days. Besides, most everybody here seems to
>> live in the UK...
>
> Finland, France, Germany and the Netherlands seem to have a few English

> --
IIRC We have contributors from South Africa, Canada and Brazil as well

Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 15 Jan 2010 13:23:20
Message: <4b50b298$1@news.povray.org>
I held off on replying till I could think of something to say, more than
just 'He will be missed.' His renders were amongst those that I would
routinely send off to friends and family as examples of what people with
more talent than me can accomplish with these tools. Though I did not
know him outside of these groups, he will be missed.