POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Really big Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:19:24 EDT (-0400)
  Really big (Message 12 to 21 of 21)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Really big
Date: 13 Jan 2010 08:04:04
Message: <4b4dc4c4@news.povray.org>
> Constructing huge numbers is easy. I'm looking at big numbers that have
> some sort of real-world significance.

2^(2^43)

The number of different states my hard drive could be in.

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 13 Jan 2010 08:14:08
Message: <4b4dc720@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> Constructing huge numbers is easy. I'm looking at big numbers that
>> have some sort of real-world significance.
>
> 2^(2^43)
>
> The number of different states my hard drive could be in.

Not including whether it's currently spinning or suffering a head-crash. ;-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 13 Jan 2010 11:36:07
Message: <4b4df677$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 10:04:48 +0000, Invisible wrote:

>>> 2^64 = 1.844 * 10^19.
>>
>> Start looking at tetration if you want big numbers. :-)
>
> Constructing huge numbers is easy. I'm looking at big numbers that have
> some sort of real-world significance.

Then look at Graham's number, though whether it has real-world
significance or not depends highly upon the field someone's in.  :-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

>> Constructing huge numbers is easy. I'm looking at big numbers that have
>> some sort of real-world significance.
>
> Then look at Graham's number, though whether it has real-world
> significance or not depends highly upon the field someone's in.  :-)

...Graham's number is useful for something?

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 16:53:18 +0000, Invisible wrote:

>>> Constructing huge numbers is easy. I'm looking at big numbers that
>>> have some sort of real-world significance.
>>
>> Then look at Graham's number, though whether it has real-world
>> significance or not depends highly upon the field someone's in.  :-)
>
> ...Graham's number is useful for something?

For mathematicians who are researching Ramsey Theory. :-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

>> ...Graham's number is useful for something?
>
> For mathematicians who are researching Ramsey Theory. :-)

Riiiight.

Not drastically real-world, is it? ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 19:34:04 +0000, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> ...Graham's number is useful for something?
>>
>> For mathematicians who are researching Ramsey Theory. :-)
>
> Riiiight.
>
> Not drastically real-world, is it? ;-)

Depends on the application; the wikipedia entry for Ramsey Theory talks
about pigeons in pigeon houses, that seems pretty concrete. :-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> >> ...Graham's number is useful for something?

> > For mathematicians who are researching Ramsey Theory. :-)

> Riiiight.
>
> Not drastically real-world, is it? ;-)

Last time I checked, mathematicians were real. But maybe, the question to
ask is, "what's the smallest uninteresting number?"

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 19:45:23 -0700, somebody wrote:

> Last time I checked, mathematicians were real. But maybe, the question
> to ask is, "what's the smallest uninteresting number?"

That's easy, 1/(Graham's Number)

;-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message