POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dimensions Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:22:40 EDT (-0400)
  Dimensions (Message 81 to 90 of 105)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Dimensions
Date: 14 Jan 2010 05:24:15
Message: <4b4ef0cf@news.povray.org>
> And not because, oh, I don't know, it's 100x smaller mass has
> significantly lower inertia to overcome in the first place?

That's only important once you get up to a high enough speed that you can't
overcome friction (about 10-20 mph in road cars, 60 mph in fast cars, up to
100 mph in racing cars).  Before that coefficient of friction is the only
thing that matters.

Post a reply to this message

>> And not because, oh, I don't know, it's 100x smaller mass has
>> significantly lower inertia to overcome in the first place?
>
> That's only important once you get up to a high enough speed that you
> can't overcome friction (about 10-20 mph in road cars, 60 mph in fast
> cars, up to 100 mph in racing cars).  Before that coefficient of
> friction is the only thing that matters.

My point being that a smaller mass requires a smaller force to
accelerate it, and thus less traction.

A cheetah's legs don't need to generate 500 BPH to get it from 0 to 60
in 4 seconds. Because a cheetah doesn't weigh a quarter of a ton...

Post a reply to this message

> My point being that a smaller mass requires a smaller force to accelerate
> it, and thus less traction.

Actually exactly the same traction.  If you accelerate an object at 10 m/s^2
then it will need a coeffcient of friction of about 1.0 no matter what the
mass is.  This is the point I was trying to make.

Post a reply to this message

>> My point being that a smaller mass requires a smaller force to
>> accelerate it, and thus less traction.
>
> Actually exactly the same traction.  If you accelerate an object at 10
> m/s^2 then it will need a coeffcient of friction of about 1.0 no matter
> what the mass is.  This is the point I was trying to make.

So a force of 1N and a force of 1,000N both require the same amount of
traction?

How does *that* work?!

Post a reply to this message

> So a force of 1N and a force of 1,000N both require the same amount of
> traction?
>
> How does *that* work?!

If the 1000 N force is on an object weighing 1000 kg, and the 1 N force is
on an object weighting 1 kg, then yes, they both require the same amount of
friction and will result in the same acceleration.

Post a reply to this message

>> So a force of 1N and a force of 1,000N both require the same amount of
>> traction?
>>
>> How does *that* work?!
>
> If the 1000 N force is on an object weighing 1000 kg, and the 1 N force
> is on an object weighting 1 kg, then yes, they both require the same
> amount of friction and will result in the same acceleration.

This must truly be the definition of "counter-intuitive". I cannot begin
to imagine how this can be true. It is surely self-evident that applying
a large force requires better grip than does applying a small force.

Post a reply to this message