POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dimensions Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:21:22 EDT (-0400)
  Dimensions (Message 21 to 30 of 105)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Dimensions
Date: 12 Jan 2010 15:16:52
Message: <4b4cd8b4@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:
> What about xyz = the ratio of any circle's circumference to its diameter?

Define "circle".  Now define "distance".  Now we're getting somewhere.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Forget "focus follows mouse." When do

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 12 Jan 2010 15:28:00
Message: <4b4cdb50@news.povray.org>
>> What about xyz = the ratio of any circle's circumference to its diameter?
>
> Define "circle".

The set of all points at distance r from the point c.

> Now define "distance".

I actually can't find a definition for how to do this in a non-Euclidean
space.

> Now we're getting somewhere.

Well, yes... I'm sure somebody somewhere has long since worked all this
out in excruciating detail. ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

>> What about xyz = the ratio of any circle's circumference to its diameter?
>
> Define "circle".  Now define "distance".

Why?

> Now we're getting somewhere.

No we are here ;)

“Here and Now!” Quoth the mynah bird.

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> What about xyz = the ratio of any circle's circumference to its diameter?

  If it's in Euclidean space, then it's pi, else it isn't.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>> What about xyz = the ratio of any circle's circumference to its diameter?
>
>   If it's in Euclidean space, then it's pi, else it isn't.

Would you run that past me again, in English? :-)

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>>> What about xyz = the ratio of any circle's circumference to its
>>> diameter?
>>
>> Define "circle".
>
> The set of all points at distance r from the point c.
>
>> Now define "distance".
>
> I actually can't find a definition for how to do this in a non-Euclidean
> space.

Oh, I forgot. Now you have to also define the length of a curved line with
no endpoints. :)

> Well, yes... I'm sure somebody somewhere has long since worked all this
> out in excruciating detail. ;-)

Well, yes.