POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Endless quest Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:17:33 EDT (-0400)
  Endless quest (Message 21 to 30 of 39)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 9 Messages >>>
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Draft #1
Date: 14 Jan 2010 17:46:34
Message: <4b4f9eca$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> If we had ever had to upgrade it, the process would probably be to run
> some vendor-provided SQL scripts.

Oh, so it's not your code. No, that part doesn't apply, then.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Forget "focus follows mouse." When do

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 14 Jan 2010 19:04:52
Message: <4b4fb124$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 19:25:36 +0000, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> Woah. That one really is a random grab-bag, eh?
>>
>> Not really, they're all related to administration of a Windows
>> infrastructure.
>
> Well, that was the general intention. It looks kind of random on the
> page though. (I guess to somebody who knows what they're talking about,
> it suggests that I have a clue too.)

With regard to your parenthetical - exactly! :-)

>>> Actually *all* I've done is install Oracle, create a blank database,
>>> recover a destroyed database from backup, and regularly backup a
>>> running database. That's basically *it*. But by mumbling something
>>> about "other maintenance" I can make it sound like I did something
>>> significant.
>>
>> So someone else does the DBA tasks?  In that case, just be prepared to
>> define what "other maintenance" is in case they ask.
>
> Define "DBA tasks".

User admin (granting access and such), troubleshooting, table layout and
design (sounds like you probably weren't involved in this last bit, with
one application that was vendor-supplied).

> Seriously, the database runs itself. I need to set it up initially,
> recover it if it breaks, and back it up periodically. What else is
> there?

Troubleshooting if it breaks comes to mind.

Jim

Post a reply to this message