POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : AMD killing Cuda? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:21:01 EDT (-0400)
  AMD killing Cuda? (Message 11 to 11 of 11)
From: Patrick Elliott
Subject: Re: AMD killing Cuda?
Date: 31 Dec 2009 20:34:04
Message: <4b3d510c@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Patrick Elliott <sel### [at] npgcablecom> wrote:
>> No, actually, what they are doing has the "disadvantage", that if you
>> need a GPU upgrade, it means a CPU upgrade, since they are the same.
>
>   My guess is that if you need a GPU upgrade, what you do is to buy a new
> regular GPU card and install it. Similarly to what you would do to a PC
> with an integrated GPU.
>
>   I suppose that if the architecture is designed cleverly enough, a program
> could benefit from both the CPU/GPU hybrid (for CPU-bound tasks) *and* the
> faster separate GPU card (for the actual rendering) at the same time.

Not sure the separate one would be "faster". Most of the speed issues
with them is getting stuff to and from them, not the internals, but
yeah. If someone came up with one that simply had features the other
couldn't do at all.. It might be worth doing that.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();