POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Subversive Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:24:31 EDT (-0400)
  Subversive (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Invisible
Subject: Subversive
Date: 23 Dec 2009 11:19:47
Message: <4b324323@news.povray.org>
http://groups.google.com/group/HAppS/browse_thread/thread/8663c04f3b104133

"Happstack scales, SQL fails!"

Um, yes, that's right. Some toy application that somebody wrote in their
lunch break really is more performant than the likes of Oracle,
Postgress, DB2 or SQL Server. Sounds completely plausible to me... Oh,
wait. No it doesn't! :-P

I guess if you can afford to pay for 30 TB of RAM and you don't mind
living with the absolute certainly that some day you *will* lose all
your data and have no way of getting in back, then storing everything in
RAM is perfectly OK. But it must surely be a vanishingly small number of
scenarios where you have terabytes of data but you don't mind losing it all.

I especially love the subversive suggestion that data integrity is some
optional feature that's nice to have but not really "necessary". As if
you can somehow do without it. People whine about "it's too slow" as if
it's just overhead that you somehow don't really "need".

Given the choice between a slow program that gives me the right answer,
and some program that's much faster because it just spits gibberish at
you and doesn't bother checking whether it even remotely makes sense, I
know which one I'd choose. But maybe that's just me? :-P

Post a reply to this message

> Given the choice between a slow program that gives me the right answer,
> and some program that's much faster because it just spits gibberish at
> you and doesn't bother checking whether it even remotely makes sense, I
> know which one I'd choose. But maybe that's just me? :-P

does that mean you prefer an unbiased renderer to povray?

Post a reply to this message

>> Given the choice between a slow program that gives me the right answer,
>> and some program that's much faster because it just spits gibberish at
>> you and doesn't bother checking whether it even remotely makes sense, I
>> know which one I'd choose. But maybe that's just me? :-P
>
> does that mean you prefer an unbiased renderer to povray?

Can't say I've ever tried one. Might be interesting to do though...

Still, the primary difference is that biased renderers usually manage to
produce reasonable approximations to unbiased ones. Inconsistent
databases give you complete gibberish, not an "approximation" to the
correct answer.

Post a reply to this message