POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another geometry puzzle Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:23:09 EDT (-0400)
  Another geometry puzzle (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Warp
Subject: Another geometry puzzle
Date: 20 Dec 2009 09:50:53
Message: <4b2e39cd@news.povray.org>
See the attached image.

1) Calculate the area of the shaded part.

2) Take the integral part of the result, negate it, and use it as
longitude coordinates, in degrees. Take the two first digits after the
decimal point of the area and use them as latitude coordinates in
degrees. (Mathematically speaking, if the area is A, then latitude =
floor((A - floor(A))*100) degrees.)

3) These coordinates will point to a state in the US. Y = the year
when the capital city of this state was founded.

4) Take Y modulo 100 (iow. the last two digits) and substitute the
60.3 in the picture with this value.

5) The answer to the problem is the height h using this modified
value, with at least 5 decimals of accuracy (after the decimal point).

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'GeometryProblem.png' (3 KB)

Preview of image 'GeometryProblem.png'
GeometryProblem.png

> 1) Calculate the area of the shaded part.
>
> 2) Take the integral part of the result, negate it, and use it as
> longitude coordinates, in degrees. Take the two first digits after the
> decimal point of the area and use them as latitude coordinates in
> degrees. (Mathematically speaking, if the area is A, then latitude =
> floor((A - floor(A))*100) degrees.)
>
> 3) These coordinates will point to a state in the US. Y = the year
> when the capital city of this state was founded.
>
> 4) Take Y modulo 100 (iow. the last two digits) and substitute the
> 60.3 in the picture with this value.
>
> 5) The answer to the problem is the height h using this modified
> value, with at least 5 decimals of accuracy (after the decimal point).

21.748904599

Post a reply to this message