POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Cheaper movies (at least to buy) Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:19:09 EDT (-0400)
  Cheaper movies (at least to buy) (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Eero Ahonen
Subject: Cheaper movies (at least to buy)
Date: 19 Dec 2009 18:19:29
Message: <4b2d5f81$1@news.povray.org>
I've recently bought couple of movies based on 4 basic rules.

1) It's blu-ray
2) It's cheap (<15 euros)
3) I haven't seen it
4) The description on the back cover seems ok

I just finished watching All the boys love Mandy Lane. It's made on
2006, so it's not even old movie. But the style, the style... It's not
rolling on special effects. It's not even rolling on steady camera - on
some scenes the camera shakes like it tried to be imitating Blair Witch
Project, but fails to fail. Also, the name sounds like a romantic comedy
at first, but believe me - that's certainly not the case.

The movie takes over 30 minutes to introduce the crew and to build up
the scene. The scene is realistic and so is the story - this could
easily (ie. we don't need to create dinosaurs oslt - everything that's
needed actually exists) happen in real world. I won't spoil the movie,
but couple of times I was... dunno, mostly either impressed or
disturbed, it's hard to tell. Anyway, the movie works and mostly does so
because of what I think Warp said in the SWI discussion - no CG, not
concentrating to effects, just pure hard work. I'd say it's definedly
worth to see.

-Aero