POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why people don't like Star Wars I Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:22:26 EDT (-0400)
  Why people don't like Star Wars I (Message 91 to 100 of 126)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Why people don't like Star Wars I
Date: 21 Dec 2009 18:34:07
Message: <4b3005ef@news.povray.org>
Bill Pragnell wrote:
> Stephen <mca### [at] aolDOTcom> wrote:
>> Bill Pragnell wrote:
>>> (excusable? no. common? yes. ;-)
>>>
>> He're he're ;)
>
> Argh, the pain! Must... suppress... pedantry...

:) LOL

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 21 Dec 2009 18:42:18
Message: <4b3007da$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> On 21-12-2009 23:31, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>> andrel wrote:
>>
>>> I am pretty sure he does pronounce them the same, otherwise he would
>>> not make that mistake.
>>
>> Indeed, the pronunciation is pretty similar.
>>
>> Much like the way every known human pronounces "flower" and "flour"
>> identically.
>
> So, am I not human or am I not known?

He missed out too posh and Dutch ;)

> I do pronounce them differently.
> flower is a clear 2 syllable word whereas flour is almost a one syllable
> word for me. Subtle but definitely not identical.

I would only consciously pronounce them differently if any confusion

> Or do you mean that I pronounce the Dutch words for flower (bloem) and
> flour (bloem) the same? Because that is indeed the case.

LOL

>> On the other hand, I frequently get "make" and "made" mixed up, for an
>> entirely different reason. :-/
>>
>> Basically I suck at writing...
>
> Nothing a good editor would not catch. I have a different problem: the
> good editor catches nothing.

You are that good? :)

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 22 Dec 2009 05:15:00
Message: <web.4b309ba455ed18fc18fe58fa0@news.povray.org>
> If you think that's weird, I can play the Widor Toccata despite not
> remembering what the notes are...

I was just about to make that same observation about my piano playing.  Ever
looked at your hands while playing?  They look and feel like alive critters,
detached from yourself, executing their own, obscure jig.

Post a reply to this message

> Much like the way every known human pronounces "flower" and "flour"
> identically.

I thought flour was more like floor. :)

Post a reply to this message