POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Geometric puzzle Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:23:36 EDT (-0400)
  Geometric puzzle (Message 11 to 20 of 201)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Geometric puzzle
Date: 15 Dec 2009 06:50:19
Message: <4b2777fb$1@news.povray.org>
>> I've gone 'til 26.
>
> Wow, which ones did I miss?

I have 24...

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'puzzle1.pdf' (3 KB)

From: Slime
Date: 15 Dec 2009 06:52:40
Message: <4b277888$1@news.povray.org>
> Wow, which ones did I miss?
> Counting all that include the top and the lower line:
> 4 of about a quarter surface
> 3 of half
> 2 of 3/4
> 1 whole
> That is 10
> Another 10 when we don't use the lower line but the diagonal from left
> bottom to right middle
> The triangle that uses that diagonal and the two bottom line
> and finally (?) the left most small part of that triangle

I got the first 20 the same way you did, but there are four along the
bottom.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 15 Dec 2009 07:48:05
Message: <4B278584.1020303@hotmail.com>
On 15-12-2009 12:52, Slime wrote:
>> Wow, which ones did I miss?
>> Counting all that include the top and the lower line:
>> 4 of about a quarter surface
>> 3 of half
>> 2 of 3/4
>> 1 whole
>> That is 10
>> Another 10 when we don't use the lower line but the diagonal from left
>> bottom to right middle
>> The triangle that uses that diagonal and the two bottom line
>> and finally (?) the left most small part of that triangle
>
> I got the first 20 the same way you did, but there are four along the
> bottom.

D*mn, why did I miss those?

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 15 Dec 2009 07:59:40
Message: <4b27883c$1@news.povray.org>
>> I got the first 20 the same way you did, but there are four along the
>> bottom.
>
> D*mn, why did I miss those?

If it makes you feel any better, I missed those too initially...

Post a reply to this message

From: Tom Austin
Date: 15 Dec 2009 08:30:20
Message: <4b278f6c$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   How many triangles can you find in the attached image?

25 - somehow I feel odd compared to the rest of you

Post a reply to this message

>>> I got the first 20 the same way you did, but there are four along the
>>> bottom.
>>
>> D*mn, why did I miss those?
>
> If it makes you feel any better, I missed those too initially...

No I don't ;)

Yet, Tom got one more and nemesis even two.
Where would those be?

Post a reply to this message

>> If it makes you feel any better, I missed those too initially...
>
> No I don't ;)
>
> Yet, Tom got one more and nemesis even two.
> Where would those be?

Double-counted perhaps?

I posted a table with all the 24 combinations I've found. If anybody can
find a valid triangle that isn't in that table *then* I'll call it a
counter-example. ;-)

Post a reply to this message

>>> If it makes you feel any better, I missed those too initially...
>>
>> No I don't ;)
>>
>> Yet, Tom got one more and nemesis even two.
>> Where would those be?
>
> Double-counted perhaps?
>
> I posted a table with all the 24 combinations I've found. If anybody can
> find a valid triangle that isn't in that table *then* I'll call it a
> counter-example. ;-)

yes, I guess 24 is more likely.  Don't go counting while sleepy...

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9

Post a reply to this message