POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mysteries of life: Email account phishing Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:20:55 EDT (-0400)
  Mysteries of life: Email account phishing (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Warp
Subject: Mysteries of life: Email account phishing
Date: 6 Dec 2009 10:35:17
Message: <4b1bcf35@news.povray.org>
Probably most people have received email account phishing scams by email.
In other words, an email which claims to be from the ISP or the email service
provider which says, basically, that your email account will be closed if you
don't reply with your account name and password. (I have received many times
a version which was machine-translated to Finnish, and was almost illegible
and completely hilarious.)

  What I don't understand is: What's the point? What do they need people's
email accounts for? If they need email accounts for whatever scamming they
want to do, there are dozens and dozens of free email services out there,
starting from hotmail and gmail. What do they need people's existing accounts
for?

  I have actually been tempted to reply to one of those phishing emails
asking that very question. Of course I won't receive an answer, so there
wouldn't be any point in doing so. Pity.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message