POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Setting up Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:17:54 EDT (-0400)
  Setting up (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Invisible
Subject: Setting up
Date: 4 Dec 2009 08:43:56
Message: <4b19121c@news.povray.org>
Ah yes, the most fun part about a new PC: Reinstalling all the stuff you
had before.

It's surprising how much stuff you accumulate without realising it.
Obviously my work PC has Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird, which none of
the other PCs have. I also installed the Haskell compiler the other day,
and my favourit text editor, SciTE. Today I've installed lots of stuff.

First somebody wanted me to look at a multi-page TIFF, so I installed
IrfanView for that.

Then I decided I wanted to work on my paper. I went to do a Darcs
optimise, and... I don't have Darcs installed, do I? So I downloaded
Darcs, which comes in a Zip file. Ah, I don't have 7zip yet, do I?

Having installed 7zip, and unzipped Darcs and added it to the search
path, I then went to edit and rebuild my paper. But I don't have TeX
installed yet either... 100MB later, TeX is installed.

Then I went to look at one of the EPS graphics included in the paper and
- you can see where this is going? I don't have Ghostscript (or
GhostView). So I install those two.

And then I go to produce a new diagram, and... yes, I haven't installed
Gtk2hs yet. Actually, it turns out this doesn't support the latest
version of GHC yet, so I'm going to have to *un*install that and go back
to the latest supported version. *sigh*

It's all crazy, you know...