POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Miracle products Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:28:59 EDT (-0400)
  Miracle products (Message 25 to 34 of 114)
From: Sabrina Kilian
Subject: Re: Miracle products
Date: 27 Nov 2009 00:06:40
Message: <4b0f5e60$1@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:
> "scott" <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote in message
>
>>> Hey, studying things is a valid way to determine whether there's any
> truth
>>> to them - provided you do the studying correctly and don't just try to
>>> dream up data that supports the conclusion you want to reach. ;-)
>
>> Also if the potential benefits are high enough then even things with a
> tiny
>> chance of being successful should be studied.
>
> That's a fallacy, at least without quantifying that "tiny" (and it's next to
> impossible to quantify tiny in most such contexts since the "hypothesis" is
> irrational/non-scientific anyway). There's a tiny chance that my house is
> built right on a diamond mine worth a "billions and billions" of dollars,
> which nobody knows about. Should I start digging?

Is the probability that there is a diamond mine beneath your house
greater than the ratio of the cost the mine would cost to the probable
return? Lets say there is a one in a million chance there is a diamond
pipe there worth several billions, and a mine would only cost a few
thousand dollars. Suddenly, the objection fades away.

Or lets say the diamond pipe is even rarer, 1 in a billion chance, but
the total cost of a mine is only 1 dollar. Would you do it then?

> Probabiliy of so called psychic phenomena being "real" is, for all practical
> purposes and by all intelligent accounts, is between 0 and 0. Any single
> cent wasted on such research is, well, wasted, and the only reasons for an
> intelligent human to bother  to do such research is employement and
> publishing.

Academic research often searches for things that there is little chance
of creating directly, because the reward for finding it could be very
valuable. Now we know that these phenomena are bunk, but to get to that
knowledge we had to study it. If someone comes up with something that
just 'feels like it is psychic' but has a physical explaination that may
or may not be reality, then discounting it just because your gut says it
is wrong is just as useless as trusting that it works without any proof.

Proof, by the way, is not deploying a stick with a crystal on the end
into the middle a war zone.

Post a reply to this message

>> Also if the potential benefits are high enough then even things with a
> tiny
>> chance of being successful should be studied.
>
> That's a fallacy, at least without quantifying that "tiny" (and it's next to
> impossible to quantify tiny in most such contexts since the "hypothesis" is
> irrational/non-scientific anyway). There's a tiny chance that my house is

	I fail to see how the hypothesis is irrational and non-scientific. At
least not any more than communicating via radio would have been to some
scientist 500 years ago.

> built right on a diamond mine worth a "billions and billions" of dollars,
> which nobody knows about. Should I start digging?

	You've set up a strawman.

> Probabiliy of so called psychic phenomena being "real" is, for all practical
> purposes and by all intelligent accounts, is between 0 and 0. Any single

	Would that have been obvious to you 150 years ago?

	You're suggesting that some decades ago, when numerous people continued
to make claims, at times with witnesses, that it wasn't worthy of
investigation?

> cent wasted on such research is, well, wasted, and the only reasons for an
> intelligent human to bother  to do such research is employement and
> publishing.

	It seems you're merely redefining "intelligent" to be someone who
doesn't "fall for x", where x is to your choosing.

--
Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person
who doesn't get it.

Post a reply to this message

"Sabrina Kilian" <ski### [at] vtedu> wrote in message
> somebody wrote:
> > "scott" <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote in message

> > truth
> >
> >> Also if the potential benefits are high enough then even things with a
> > tiny
> >> chance of being successful should be studied.
> >
> > That's a fallacy, at least without quantifying that "tiny" (and it's
next to
> > impossible to quantify tiny in most such contexts since the "hypothesis"
is
> > irrational/non-scientific anyway). There's a tiny chance that my house
is
> > built right on a diamond mine worth a "billions and billions" of
dollars,
> > which nobody knows about. Should I start digging?

> Is the probability that there is a diamond mine beneath your house
> greater than the ratio of the cost the mine would cost to the probable
> return? Lets say there is a one in a million chance there is a diamond
> pipe there worth several billions, and a mine would only cost a few
> thousand dollars. Suddenly, the objection fades away.

Proof of the pudding is in the eating. Unless *you* start digging under your
house, my objection stands.

Plus there are two additional issues. One is the law of diminishing returns
(or the utility function, whatever economists like to call it). Second, and
more important, is that we have limited resources (especially time/life
span). A one in  googolplex probability of something, even if the potential
return is googolplex ^ googolplex dollars and the cost is one dollar, is not
worth attempting, and for all intents and purposes, that probability is
zero.

Post a reply to this message