POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : SCIENCE! Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:25:50 EDT (-0400)
  SCIENCE! (Message 21 to 24 of 24)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: SCIENCE!
Date: 30 Nov 2009 04:13:22
Message: <4b138cb2$1@news.povray.org>
>> Wait, back up a sec - you mean there's a *reason* why the transition
>> metals exist? And people actually know WTF this reason is??
>
> Yes.

OK, that's quite impressive.

Last time I heard, an atomic nucleous has a cloud of electrons floating
around it. (Seems reasonable - they're negatively charged, while the
nucleous is positively charged. Why wouldn't they orbit it?) Except that
rather than just floating around, they all stay 100% rigidly confined to
a discrete set of orbit shells. (Um, WTF? Why?) And the inner-most shell
can only hold 2 electrons (OK), the next shell can only hold 8 (um...
OK), and next one out also holds 8 (er... why?), and the next shell can
contain up to 18 electrons but when you start filling that shell you can
only fill it up to a certain point, and then you have to go back and
fill the shell below and then you can finish filling this shell (WTF?!)
And the shell numbers are apparently just plucked out of the air, and
the shell filling orders are completely arbitrary. And this is all
assuming an atom with zero energy; apparently real atoms have more
energy than that, which causes electrons to migrate between different
shells, and when one falls back to a lower shell it emits energy
(usually in the form of EMR). And don't even get me started on chemical
bonding...

It all seems wildly complicated and completely random.

Post a reply to this message

>>> Wait, back up a sec - you mean there's a *reason* why the transition
>>> metals exist? And people actually know WTF this reason is??
>>
>> Yes.
>
> OK, that's quite impressive.
>
> Last time I heard, an atomic nucleous has a cloud of electrons floating
> around it. (Seems reasonable - they're negatively charged, while the
> nucleous is positively charged. Why wouldn't they orbit it?) Except that
> rather than just floating around, they all stay 100% rigidly confined to
> a discrete set of orbit shells. (Um, WTF? Why?) And the inner-most shell
> can only hold 2 electrons (OK), the next shell can only hold 8 (um...
> OK), and next one out also holds 8 (er... why?), and the next shell can
> contain up to 18 electrons but when you start filling that shell you can
> only fill it up to a certain point, and then you have to go back and
> fill the shell below and then you can finish filling this shell (WTF?!)
> And the shell numbers are apparently just plucked out of the air, and
> the shell filling orders are completely arbitrary. And this is all
> assuming an atom with zero energy; apparently real atoms have more
> energy than that, which causes electrons to migrate between different
> shells, and when one falls back to a lower shell it emits energy
> (usually in the form of EMR). And don't even get me started on chemical
> bonding...
>
> It all seems wildly complicated and completely random.

And now you can see that the electrons are actually in those fields.
http://insidescience.org/research/first_detailed_photos_of_atoms

I had done the math in chem class, I could understand that this model
worked and predicted everything we knew, but seeing these images is
still a stunner.

Post a reply to this message

> Last time I heard, an atomic nucleous has a cloud of electrons floating
> around it. (Seems reasonable - they're negatively charged, while the
> nucleous is positively charged. Why wouldn't they orbit it?)

Because they're oppositely charged, and therefore would be attracted far too
hard towards the nucleus for centripital force to hold them out.

> Except that
> rather than just floating around, they all stay 100% rigidly confined to
> a discrete set of orbit shells. (Um, WTF? Why?)

Because of the fermi exclusion principle, and the fact that they *are*
quantum particles, and there's only so much "room" that close to the
nucleus. (Where "room" is measured in terms of possible quantum states.)

 > And the inner-most shell
> can only hold 2 electrons (OK), the next shell can only hold 8 (um...
> OK), and next one out also holds 8 (er... why?), and the next shell can
> contain up to 18 electrons but when you start filling that shell you can
> only fill it up to a certain point, and then you have to go back and
> fill the shell below and then you can finish filling this shell (WTF?!)

Yep.

> And the shell numbers are apparently just plucked out of the air, and
> the shell filling orders are completely arbitrary.

No. It's just relatively complicated math.

> It all seems wildly complicated and completely random.

Well, somewhat random and fairly complicated when you look at the results of
the arithmetic, yes. It's all based on sums of infinite series of complex
numbers, where the values of the individual complex numbers are based on
what particles are interacting and where (in 4-D space) they are.

But you're looking at stuff like "A handful of the dots move relative to the
background, and sometimes even go backwards (WTF?) but most don't, except
some show up every 76 years and they aren't even round, and then there's
this big one that changes shape over the course of a month. It all seems
wildly complicated and completely random."  And you're missing orbital
mechanics, which is a small handful of simple math.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

> can only hold 2 electrons (OK), the next shell can only hold 8 (um...
> OK), and next one out also holds 8 (er... why?), and the next shell can
> contain up to 18 electrons but when you start filling that shell you can
> only fill it up to a certain point, and then you have to go back and
> fill the shell below and then you can finish filling this shell (WTF?!)
> And the shell numbers are apparently just plucked out of the air, and
> the shell filling orders are completely arbitrary.

I recall it's 2 * n^2

2, 8, 18, 32...