POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It boggles the mind. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:20:31 EDT (-0400)
  It boggles the mind. (Message 21 to 21 of 21)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: It boggles the mind.
Date: 29 Nov 2009 11:24:31
Message: <4b12a03f$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

 > that is pretty much the most inefficient way of doing it.

Huh. Odd, I can't see that it makes a difference really how far back you
merge, in that kind of range.

> Anyway, these are the *average* efficiencies, if you're the one who
> always merges at the end of the lane then you'll be better off if
> everyone else merges sooner :-)

Yes. That's the basic problem with prisoner dilemma sorts of problems.

> What the people who merge really early
> don't realise, is that if they merged later not only would they get
> through quicker, but everyone else would on avereage too.

I'm not sure this is the case. It's more efficient to merge at speed than it
is to merge from a stop. (That's why they don't put stop-signs at the end of
the on ramps to highways.) Running up to the end of the lane wouldn't be a
problem if it didn't slow down everyone else merging in.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)