POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : OK, that's funny Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:25:31 EDT (-0400)
  OK, that's funny (Message 21 to 21 of 21)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: OK, that's funny
Date: 20 Nov 2009 19:45:58
Message: <4b073846$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible schrieb:
>>> Last time I clocked it, having my PC running uses about 200W. So,
>>> about the same as two light bulbs.
>>>
>>> The kettle, on the other hand, uses OVER THREE THOUSAND WATTS of
>>> power. o_O
>>
>> ... which you have powered on for how long each day?
>
> The kettle uses more power in 1 minute than my computer uses in 1,000
> minutes ( = nearly 17 hours).

Math fail?

PC     =   200 W
kettle = 3,000 W (ca.)

kettle : PC = 3,000 : 200 = 15
               2 00          ==
               -----
               1 000
               1 000

A: "The kettle uses more power in 1 minute than [your] computer uses in
15 minutes ( = nearly 0.25 hours)."

> The kettle probably takes approximately 1 minute to boil, and with the
> amount of tea my mum drinks, the kettle probably burns through multiple
> kWh per day - my PC would have to be on 24/7 for a week or two to
> compete with that.

If the kettle takes approximately 1 minute to boil, to compete with 24/7
PC use your mum would have to consume four jugs(!) of tea per hour. I
would consider that pretty unlikely...