POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:24:57 EDT (-0400)
  Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents (Message 21 to 30 of 81)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents
Date: 18 Nov 2009 13:00:07
Message: <4b043627@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle wrote:
> The person who discovers this algorithm has done just that, he has
> *discovered* it.  The USC grants authority to protect the interests of
> "Authors and Inventors," and not to discoverers.

I disagree. The person who "discovered" how to send motion pictures over the
air, or who "discovered" how to record those signals reliably onto a piece
of magnetic tape also simply "discovered the best way to do that."

The algorithms aren't sitting around waiting to be dug up out of the ground
any more than the steps for turning five poisonous chemicals into a
beneficial medicine are sitting around waiting to be "discovered".

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     Is God willing to prevent phrogams, but not able?

Post a reply to this message