POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Modern Linux desktops suck Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:20:46 EDT (-0400)
  Modern Linux desktops suck (Message 58 to 67 of 127)
From: Bill Pragnell
Subject: Re: MS Windows
Date: 18 Nov 2009 06:10:01
Message: <web.4b03d4ec145bbe846dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> > You could even 'save' the file in this manner into another open application. For
> > example, a graph program would save a standard vector-graphics file, but if you
> > wanted to use the graph directly you'd just 'save' it staight into your
> > document processor window and it would be inserted at the caret.
>
> Well, you can copy and paste data in this way under Windows. E.g., open
> Excel, select a chart, copy, switch to Word, paste the chart.

Windows does have a system clipboard - something that RISCOS lacked. Then again,
it didn't really need it, given the behaviour I described - you could save any
selection in most apps so I guess the question never arose.

Actually, the thing I miss most from RISCOS was its compact and powerful native
vector graphics format. Every relevant application could read and write it; it
was the standard way to move graphics data around. Even today, there is no
standard OS format on any system I've seen that comes close. I'm still appalled
that Word makes do with that dreadful metafile rubbish - I've never got it to
work for me and have always had to fall back on hires pngs rendered from SVG.
Laborious, wasteful and substandard.

Post a reply to this message