POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Modern Linux desktops suck Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:19:39 EDT (-0400)
  Modern Linux desktops suck (Message 21 to 30 of 127)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: MS Windows
Date: 17 Nov 2009 11:49:32
Message: <4b02d41c@news.povray.org>
>> Sure, if you build a highly custom UI of your own rather than using
>> the OS, you can implement whatever you like. But that's hardly an OS
>> feature. ;-)
>
> I mean, there were flags for controlling whether your window got the
> title bar and such, yes?  At least I *think* so.

Year, you can turn off the titlebar (usually only for a splash screen),
the close button, the resize gadget, and so forth. It's just that
programs typically didn't do this.

> Of course, lots of programs that wanted to be "modal" just opened an
> entire screen. ;-)

...or that, yes. ;-)

However, screens can be rearranged. :-D

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 17 Nov 2009 11:52:49
Message: <4b02d4e1$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Year, you can turn off the titlebar (usually only for a splash screen),
> the close button, the resize gadget, and so forth. It's just that
> programs typically didn't do this.

Yes, because AmigaOS wasn't a PITA to run multiple threads in one program
that didn't get screwed up by unusual interactions with multiple windows. ;-)

Contrast with MacOS or Win3.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     Is God willing to prevent phrogams, but not able?

Post a reply to this message