POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Modern Linux desktops suck Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:23:25 EDT (-0400)
  Modern Linux desktops suck (Message 18 to 27 of 127)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: MS Windows
Date: 17 Nov 2009 11:37:16
Message: <4b02d13c$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Pretty sure AmigaOS doesn't support model dialogs.

Heck, even *I* remember that AmigaOS had model dialogs. Now, most of the
workbench-level software didn't use them, but I remember the apps having
them.  (I wonder if I could still find my old Amiga OS books...)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

>> Pretty sure AmigaOS doesn't support model dialogs.
>
> Heck, even *I* remember that AmigaOS had model dialogs. Now, most of the
> workbench-level software didn't use them, but I remember the apps having
> them.  (I wonder if I could still find my old Amiga OS books...)

I don't recall any program using the standard Intuition interface having
model dialogs. Sure, if you build a highly custom UI of your own rather
than using the OS, you can implement whatever you like. But that's
hardly an OS feature. ;-)

Post a reply to this message

> Sure, if you build a highly custom UI of your own rather
> than using the OS, you can implement whatever you like. But that's
> hardly an OS feature. ;-)

I mean, there were flags for controlling whether your window got the title
bar and such, yes?  At least I *think* so.

Of course, lots of programs that wanted to be "modal" just opened an entire
screen. ;-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

>> Sure, if you build a highly custom UI of your own rather than using
>> the OS, you can implement whatever you like. But that's hardly an OS
>> feature. ;-)
>
> I mean, there were flags for controlling whether your window got the
> title bar and such, yes?  At least I *think* so.

Year, you can turn off the titlebar (usually only for a splash screen),
the close button, the resize gadget, and so forth. It's just that
programs typically didn't do this.

> Of course, lots of programs that wanted to be "modal" just opened an
> entire screen. ;-)

...or that, yes. ;-)

However, screens can be rearranged. :-D

Post a reply to this message