POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ultra-realistic video game Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:21:42 EDT (-0400)
  Ultra-realistic video game (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Darren New
Subject: Ultra-realistic video game
Date: 11 Nov 2009 11:11:14
Message: <4afae222$1@news.povray.org>
http://www.theonion.com/content/video/ultra_realistic_modern_warfare
--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Tim Cook
Subject: Re: Ultra-realistic video game
Date: 11 Nov 2009 11:47:15
Message: <4afaea93$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> http://www.theonion.com/content/video/ultra_realistic_modern_warfare

I lol'd

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Raiford
Date: 12 Nov 2009 08:02:49
Message: <4afc0779@news.povray.org>
On 11/11/2009 10:11 AM, Darren New wrote:
> http://www.theonion.com/content/video/ultra_realistic_modern_warfare

Know what's weird. The web filter blocks Youtube, and bash.org, but it
doesn't block The Onion ....

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: John VanSickle
Date: 12 Nov 2009 09:10:31
Message: <4afc1757$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> http://www.theonion.com/content/video/ultra_realistic_modern_warfare

In 1999 or 2000, the US Air Force released one of its first television
recruiting ads (up to this point, recruiting ads that mentioned the Air
Force were invariably joint ads that mentioned all four services).  The
ad consisted of majestic music, played over scenes of various aircraft
doing various cool things.

In 2001 or so, a group of servicemen in the Air Force did their own
version of this.  It featured airmen sweeping hangars, taking out the
trash, and submitting samples for urinalysis, with the same music
playing over it.

The senior leadership was not amused, but everyone whose career did not
depend on the senior leadership's favor was most surely amused.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

> In 1999 or 2000, the US Air Force released one of its first television
> recruiting ads (up to this point, recruiting ads that mentioned the Air
> Force were invariably joint ads that mentioned all four services).  The
> ad consisted of majestic music, played over scenes of various aircraft
> doing various cool things.
>
> In 2001 or so, a group of servicemen in the Air Force did their own
> version of this.  It featured airmen sweeping hangars, taking out the
> trash, and submitting samples for urinalysis, with the same music
> playing over it.
>
> The senior leadership was not amused, but everyone whose career did not
> depend on the senior leadership's favor was most surely amused.

:)

Yeah, I remember this kind of stuff in the SADF / SANDF too. On the
recruiting poster stands the tall, bronzed warrior, aggressively staring
into the distance, cue the music, appreciative women-folk hungrily staring
at the fine uniform...

... to being on your knees, bloody cold, sick with the flu and goddamn
tired, 0145 on a Friday morning, trying to clean the f#@!ing toilet with a
specially donated toothbrush one of the guys gave up so that your platoon
can get that weekend pass the Colonel promised to the unit with the cleanest
quarters.

... or to the joys of the f$%@ing rain washing down the front of your
uniform while trying to sleep in the field and nature decided that TONIGHT
was the night to deliver all the rain the country didn't get the past
decade.

... to just being so tired you fall asleep while marching, so hungry you can
faint, so scared you're p*ssing yourself, and so dirty it'll take a weak to
scrape off all the accumulated camo-cream, sweat, grime, dirt and mud -
after you've burned your uniform as a dead loss, instead of trying to wash
it.

Still, wouldn't have missed it for the world!
--
Stefan Viljoen

Post a reply to this message