POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Vulnerable technology Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:18:56 EDT (-0400)
  Vulnerable technology (Message 1 to 10 of 60)
From: Stefan Viljoen
Subject: Vulnerable technology
Date: 10 Nov 2009 06:41:56
Message: <4af95183@news.povray.org>
This ties in with the Swell... thread.

Given how dependant we are on techy stuff for daily life, it is scary how
vulnerable technology can be.

But I guess production or commercial electronics and mechanical systems are
more reliable than the experimentally-oriented LHC.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Large-Hadron-Collider-LHC-bread,news-5047.html
--
Stefan Viljoen

Post a reply to this message

> But I guess production or commercial electronics and mechanical systems are
> more reliable than the experimentally-oriented LHC.
>
> http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Large-Hadron-Collider-LHC-bread,news-5047.html

"The core is a 7m-long graphite block encased in steel, water cooled and
then further wrapped in 750 tonnes of concrete and iron shielding."

Damn half-arsed engineering. ;-)

Post a reply to this message

>> But I guess production or commercial electronics and mechanical systems
>> are more reliable than the experimentally-oriented LHC.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Large-Hadron-Collider-LHC-bread,news-5047.html

> "The core is a 7m-long graphite block encased in steel, water cooled and
> then further wrapped in 750 tonnes of concrete and iron shielding."
>
> Damn half-arsed engineering. ;-)

:) you don't say!
--
Stefan Viljoen

Post a reply to this message

> Given how dependant we are on techy stuff for daily life, it is scary how
> vulnerable technology can be.
>
> But I guess production or commercial electronics and mechanical systems are
> more reliable than the experimentally-oriented LHC.

The first one always has some bugs in it, often for its entire service
life.  Children are a good example of this.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

> The first one always has some bugs in it, often for its entire service
> life.  Children are a good example of this.

...WTF?! o_O

Post a reply to this message

> Given how dependant we are on techy stuff for daily life, it is scary how
> vulnerable technology can be.

I think we're much less dependent than you think we are. It's just much less
*comfortable*.

> But I guess production or commercial electronics and mechanical systems are
> more reliable than the experimentally-oriented LHC.

Well, yes. Not too many consumer electronic devices are expected to operate
at temperatures lower than the cosmic background radiation, for example.

> http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Large-Hadron-Collider-LHC-bread,news-5047.html

Damn frogs. ;-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

> "The core is a 7m-long graphite block encased in steel, water cooled and
> then further wrapped in 750 tonnes of concrete and iron shielding."
>
> Damn half-arsed engineering. ;-)

Gives a new definition to the term "core dump"...

Post a reply to this message

>> "The core is a 7m-long graphite block encased in steel, water cooled
>> and then further wrapped in 750 tonnes of concrete and iron shielding."
>>
>> Damn half-arsed engineering. ;-)
>
> Gives a new definition to the term "core dump"...

LOL :)

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>> But I guess production or commercial electronics and mechanical
>> systems are
>> more reliable than the experimentally-oriented LHC.
>
> Well, yes. Not too many consumer electronic devices are expected to
> operate at temperatures lower than the cosmic background radiation, for
> example.

Quote of the week award: you haz it.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/