POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Locking references Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:19:21 EDT (-0400)
  Locking references (Message 4 to 13 of 33)
<<< Previous 3 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Stefan Viljoen
Subject: Re: Locking references
Date: 9 Nov 2009 08:46:56
Message: <4af81d4f@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> Paul Fuller wrote:

>> One issue is that a thread does not always know what locks it needs
>> before the fact.
>
> Yes, this is the killer. Often it's not possible to know what locks you
> want until you read some data (which you have to lock first). And if you
> release the locks, somebody else could come and change the data...

Isn't that the point? I've never worked with a low-level locking setup, but
I implemented a high-level one in the CMS I'm currently working on. If
somebody accesses a specific item, it is locked with a timeout. If he
doesn't commit changes within 15 minutes (or whatever is set), he "loses"
the lock, and somebody else can edit.

I.e. releasing a lock = it's ok for somebody else to change the data. You
have the lock = everybody else is blocked from changing the data?

--
Stefan Viljoen

Post a reply to this message

>>> One issue is that a thread does not always know what locks it needs
>>> before the fact.
>> Yes, this is the killer. Often it's not possible to know what locks you
>> want until you read some data (which you have to lock first). And if you
>> release the locks, somebody else could come and change the data...
>
> Isn't that the point? I've never worked with a low-level locking setup, but
> I implemented a high-level one in the CMS I'm currently working on. If
> somebody accesses a specific item, it is locked with a timeout. If he
> doesn't commit changes within 15 minutes (or whatever is set), he "loses"
> the lock, and somebody else can edit.
>
> I.e. releasing a lock = it's ok for somebody else to change the data. You
> have the lock = everybody else is blocked from changing the data?

My point is, you can't just go "I've got lock 7 and lock 13, and now I
need lock 2, so I'll just release lock 7 and lock 13, then take lock 2
and take back lock 7 and lock 13". In between releasing the locks and
taking them back, something could change. You need a better plan than that.

Post a reply to this message

> My point is, you can't just go "I've got lock 7 and lock 13, and now I
> need lock 2, so I'll just release lock 7 and lock 13, then take lock 2
> and take back lock 7 and lock 13". In between releasing the locks and
> taking them back, something could change. You need a better plan than
> that.

Isn't this what a mutex (like it is implemented in the Linux kernel) is for?

Wik it a bit, I think it might be a partial answer to your original
question... :)
--
Stefan Viljoen

Post a reply to this message