POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Question about imperial units Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:24:15 EDT (-0400)
  Question about imperial units (Message 1 to 10 of 49)
From: Warp
Subject: Question about imperial units
Date: 6 Nov 2009 20:46:02
Message: <4af4d15a@news.povray.org>
In the metric system it's very common to use the superscript power
notation for squared and cubed units of length, such as "m^2"
(m superscript 2, damn the limitations of ascii...) for square meters
and "m^3" for cubic meters.

  How about imperial units. Can you write "square feet" as "ft^2" or
something like that?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>   How about imperial units. Can you write "square feet" as "ft^2" or
> something like that?

Yes.

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net

Post a reply to this message

>   In the metric system it's very common to use the superscript power
> notation for squared and cubed units of length, such as "m^2"
> (m superscript 2, damn the limitations of ascii...) for square meters
> and "m^3" for cubic meters.
>
>   How about imperial units. Can you write "square feet" as "ft^2" or
> something like that?

imperial units are not SI units and therefore wrong anyway, so you can
do with them whatever you like :-P

(*ducks & runs*)

(BTW, those "limitations of ASCII" work pretty neat in T'bird :-))

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 06 Nov 2009 20:46:02 -0500, Warp wrote:

> In the metric system it's very common to use the superscript power
> notation for squared and cubed units of length, such as "m^2" (m
> superscript 2, damn the limitations of ascii...) for square meters and
> "m^3" for cubic meters.
>
>   How about imperial units. Can you write "square feet" as "ft^2" or
> something like that?

Sure, you can.  I find "Square feet" typically is written "sq. ft."
though (or some variation like that)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

>  In the metric system it's very common to use the superscript power
> notation for squared and cubed units of length, such as "m^2"
> (m superscript 2, damn the limitations of ascii...) for square meters
> and "m^3" for cubic meters.
>
>  How about imperial units. Can you write "square feet" as "ft^2" or
> something like that?
>
> --
>                                                          - Warp

Of course you can
and you can try converting hPa to psi by head with a hangover by a misty
morning in a gas station of Kyle of Lochalsh.
Duh!

Marc

Post a reply to this message