POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : More barcode fun Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:20:43 EDT (-0400)
  More barcode fun (Message 21 to 25 of 25)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: More barcode fun
Date: 30 Oct 2009 12:51:33
Message: <4aeb1995$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible schrieb:

> In particular, Code 39 uses thin and thick bars and spaces. On my
> barcode, thick is twice the size of thin, but on the real barcode it
> seems to be something like 2.5 or something. (Obviously, you can't
> easily represent this as a sequence of 1s and 0s. But hey, that's the
> Real World for ya...)

As I mentioned earlier, Code 39 doesn't require a particular
narrow-to-wide ratio. There may be maximum and minimum limits, but
anything in between those is fair game.

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 30 Oct 2009 13:22:38
Message: <4aeb20de@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Oh, and I finally found out what all those zig-zags are for:

Kewl. I like how MSWord gives you an option to print that on envelopes when
you print envelopes. I wonder if it uses the right barcode for the right
country? I never tried it.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

>> In particular, Code 39 uses thin and thick bars and spaces. On my
>> barcode, thick is twice the size of thin, but on the real barcode it
>> seems to be something like 2.5 or something. (Obviously, you can't
>> easily represent this as a sequence of 1s and 0s. But hey, that's the
>> Real World for ya...)
>
> As I mentioned earlier, Code 39 doesn't require a particular
> narrow-to-wide ratio. There may be maximum and minimum limits, but
> anything in between those is fair game.

...which is probably why it's been printed at 2.5. That would mean it
definitely falls within the limits, regardless of print tolerence.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/