POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Font creation freeware? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:22:32 EDT (-0400)
  Font creation freeware? (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: SharkD
Subject: Font creation freeware?
Date: 27 Oct 2009 20:44:48
Message: <4ae79400$1@news.povray.org>
Are there any good freeware apps for creating fonts? I remember using
some software several years ago, but I can't remember which program it
was, and whether it was freeware/shareware/crippleware/etc. Can Inkscape
be used to create fonts?

Mike

Post a reply to this message

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 20:44:50 -0400, SharkD wrote:

> Are there any good freeware apps for creating fonts? I remember using

Try Fontstruct - it's an online creation tool that seems to work pretty
well.

http://fontstruct.fontshop.com/

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> Are there any good freeware apps for creating fonts? I remember using
> some software several years ago, but I can't remember which program it
> was, and whether it was freeware/shareware/crippleware/etc. Can Inkscape
> be used to create fonts?

There is the open source FontForge:
http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/

--
Vincent

Post a reply to this message

> Are there any good freeware apps for creating fonts? I remember using
> some software several years ago, but I can't remember which program it
> was, and whether it was freeware/shareware/crippleware/etc. Can Inkscape
> be used to create fonts?

Did somebody mention metafont?. Apparently some sort of learning curve,
but extremely stable and with metapost you can capitalize on your
learning when you need a picture.

Post a reply to this message

>> Are there any good freeware apps for creating fonts? I remember using
>> some software several years ago, but I can't remember which program it
>> was, and whether it was freeware/shareware/crippleware/etc. Can
>> Inkscape be used to create fonts?
>
> Did somebody mention metafont?. Apparently some sort of learning curve,
> but extremely stable and with metapost you can capitalize on your
> learning when you need a picture.

Thanks for the tips, everyone.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

> Did somebody mention metafont?. Apparently some sort of learning curve,
> but extremely stable and with metapost you can capitalize on your
> learning when you need a picture.

Ah, metafont, the POV-Ray of font construction. Last time I checked, it
can only be used to create bitmapped fonts though...

Post a reply to this message

> Are there any good freeware apps for creating fonts? I remember using
> some software several years ago, but I can't remember which program it
> was, and whether it was freeware/shareware/crippleware/etc. Can Inkscape
> be used to create fonts?
>
> Mike

Open a *.ttf in Inkscape and save it as an *.svg. This will give you a
plain text file to show how the font in laid out. I go from this to
hand-code letters, but I've never done a full alphabet.

  -Shay