POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Open source software is always stable Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:22:44 EDT (-0400)
  Open source software is always stable (Message 11 to 20 of 79)
From: nemesis
Subject: Re: Open source software is always stable
Date: 17 Oct 2009 16:17:57
Message: <4ada2675$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 10:43:37 -0400, Warp wrote:
>
>>> I don't understand the subject.
>
>> He seems to be saying "see, see?  OSS isn't always stable".
>
>   I think that's the first time I have ever seen anybody claiming (or
> insinuating that somebody has claimed) that OSS is always stable.

He's being sarcastic for taking so long to fix the bug.  A stable bug. :)

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 17 Oct 2009 16:50:40
Message: <4ada2e20$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 15:16:44 -0400, Warp wrote:

>> On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 10:43:37 -0400, Warp wrote:
>
>> > I don't understand the subject.
>
>> He seems to be saying "see, see?  OSS isn't always stable".
>
>   I think that's the first time I have ever seen anybody claiming (or
> insinuating that somebody has claimed) that OSS is always stable.

Same here.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 17 Oct 2009 16:52:22
Message: <4ada2e86@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 20:24:20 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> I've heard lots of people try to claim directly or indirectly that OSS
> is somehow automatically inherantly superior to proprietry software just
> because it's OSS. Which, IMHO, is untrue.

The thing that's superior about OSS over proprietary is that because the
code is released, *if* you have the skills, you can fix it yourself.
I'll grant that's a big "if".

You can't do that (by definition) with closed-source software.

Jim

Post a reply to this message