POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The joy of copying with Windows Explorer Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:25:53 EDT (-0400)
  The joy of copying with Windows Explorer (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: clipka
Subject: The joy of copying with Windows Explorer
Date: 16 Oct 2009 09:57:32
Message: <4ad87bcc@news.povray.org>
Ah, yes...

So in my naive optimism I tried to copy miscellaneous data from my old
32-Bit Windows XP machine to my new 64-bit machine - bulk, 50 GB in
170,000 files - via network, using Windows Explorer.

Guess what happened...

Of /course/ Windows Explorer aborted halfway throught the copying
process, this time complaining that some resulting pathname would be too
long...

... but wait! That's not even the punchline yet: Using BeyondCompare to
copy the remaining files, I encountered no problems whatsoever; even the
files within the offending directory were copied ok.

And Windows Explorer displayed the directory name fine afterwards. It
just refused to open it - or rename it, for that matter. (It did open a
HTML page with an even longer filename though.)

Thanks, Microsoft, for designing the most essential file system
management tool to have more severe pathname length limitations than the
file system to be managed...

Post a reply to this message