POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : English is rough Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:18:41 EDT (-0400)
  English is rough (Message 13 to 22 of 32)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: English is rough
Date: 17 Oct 2009 08:27:20
Message: <4ad9b828$1@news.povray.org>
Doctor John wrote:
> Stephen wrote:
>> Doctor John wrote:
>>
>>> ....and to add a couple of names
>>> Cholmondely - pron. Chumley
>>> Featherstonehaugh - pron. Fanshaw
>>>
>>> I'm sure Stephen could add a host of Scottish novelties
>>>
>>> John
>> No really John, Scots is written the way it sounds.
>> But it is the sounds…
>>
>> For those outside the UK
>>
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8308288.stm
>>

> Scone?? Skoon, Skone or Skon??

OK, Milngavie pronounced Mull-guy. Will that do?
But Auchenshuggle is pronounced Auchenshuggle (Auch-en-shu-gle).

--

Awrabest,
	Stevie

Post a reply to this message

From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 17 Oct 2009 08:35:00
Message: <web.4ad9b919d019e8c84fa0e6c80@news.povray.org>
Sabrina Kilian <ski### [at] vtedu> wrote:
> Stephen wrote:
> > "Sabrina Kilian" <ski### [at] vtedu> wrote in message
> >
> >> I can not make those rhyme without butchering one or the other. Either
> >> Ar-ken-saw becomes Ar-kens-ur, or Four becomes Fou. Maybe there is a
> >> homograph of 'four' that I am missing? Or maybe I just need a proper
> >> Queen's English accent to get that one.
> >
> > As Bill said it depends on personal accent and I'll add regional and
> > class (there I go again :) to that.
> > Four and Ar-ken-saw do rhyme if you use a posh RP (Received
> > Pronunciation) English accent (fou-ar and saw-ar).
> >
> > The girl reading the poem in TC's post did really well IMO.
>
> Indeed she does. But I was not reading it in my 'deer ol Virginya home'
> accent, I tend to slip in to that one only on rare occasion. Still, I
> guess my RP accent is lacking what finishing touches I should have
> received in finishing school, as I have never heard "four" pronounced in
> two syllables.

A two-syllable 'four' suggests to me some region of northern England, but I
couldn't tell you exactly where. Personally, I would pronounce 'four' as 'for',
and I think I have a fairly middle-of-the-road neutral English accent, maybe a
touch southeast. This makes rhyming 'Arkansas' with 'four' extremely easy for
me, without sounding at all strange (to me!).

Funny how different lines trip up people differently :)

Post a reply to this message

> OK, Milngavie pronounced Mull-guy. Will that do?

That's a new one on me. You learn something every day :-)

> But Auchenshuggle is pronounced Auchenshuggle (Auch-en-shu-gle).

No, it's pronounced Aw-[clear throat]-en-shu-gle :-D

John
--
"Eppur si muove" - Galileo Galilei

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 17 Oct 2009 09:21:16
Message: <4ad9c4cc$1@news.povray.org>
Doctor John wrote:
> Stephen wrote:
>> OK, Milngavie pronounced Mull-guy. Will that do?
>
> That's a new one on me. You learn something every day :-)

And so you should :D

>> But Auchenshuggle is pronounced Auchenshuggle (Auch-en-shu-gle).
>>

> No, it's pronounced Aw-[clear throat]-en-shu-gle :-D

Whell I never! ;-)

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 17 Oct 2009 13:21:11
Message: <4ad9fd07$1@news.povray.org>
Tim Cook schrieb:

query doesn't rhyme with very? thought it did,

I'd pronouce "query" like "queerie", so that doesn't rhyme.

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 18 Oct 2009 13:49:20
Message: <4adb5520@news.povray.org>
Tim Cook wrote:
> query doesn't rhyme with very?

I thought it did too, but I've also heard it pronounced "queery", with what
an american would call a "long e", and which Warp would hit me about the
head for calling it that. ;-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: gregjohn
Date: 18 Oct 2009 16:05:01
Message: <web.4adb7468d019e8c834d207310@news.povray.org>
> http://phd.pp.ru/Texts/fun/english-poem.txt

Eh, I got halfway through before my brain grew tired.

What gets me is trying to differentiate in speech or hearing the two names,
"Don" and "Dawn". Perhaps especially if you've spent time both around suthunuhs
and New Yorkers.

Post a reply to this message

From: Saul Luizaga
Date: 20 Oct 2009 07:01:36
Message: <4add9890$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> http://phd.pp.ru/Texts/fun/english-poem.txt

This is just what I needed, thanks, I'm taking English classes,
Cambridge's, I just made it to CELFIC "A", well only with 76.5 but I
have improved a lot, understanding better grammar and the use tenses,
still I have a long way to go, DELFIC looks pretty difficult and there I
need to do really good since is the preparation for Cambridge FCE.

Thanks again.

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 20 Oct 2009 11:48:54
Message: <4adddbe6$1@news.povray.org>
Saul Luizaga wrote:
> This is just what I needed, thanks, I'm taking English classes,

Congrats. I have a terrible time with foreign languages. I had to cheat to
even pass French class in high school. (altho I was surprised how much came
back to me 30 years later when I visited France.)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 20 Oct 2009 15:48:20