POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Inside Win32 Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:23:04 EDT (-0400)
  Inside Win32 (Message 18 to 27 of 27)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Inside Win32
Date: 14 Oct 2009 14:20:42
Message: <4ad6167a@news.povray.org>
>>> All we need now is for Warp to pop up and tell me that if only I used
>>> a *real* programming environment like VisualStudio C++, I would only
>>> need to click on a button and everything would instantly work right...
>>
>> Or Scott to pop up and tell you to just use a .net language and be
>> done with COM altogether.
>
> Or both! Use a .NET language and tell it to interface itself to COM. ;-)

What a wonderful idea! Instead of having a compiled Haskell program that
requires you to install 10MB of GTK+ libraries before it will run, you
can have an interpretted .NET program which requires you to install
400MB of libraries before it will run. Everybody wins...

>> http://www.ffconsultancy.com/dotnet/fsharp/rule30/code/1/rule30.fs
>
> Sweet. I haven't taken the time to figure out how they unify the
> functional with all the stateful OO libraries.

The real world is stateful. Almost all functional languages must have a
strategy for dealing with real-world state. Just apply the same
technique (whatever it is) to dealing with stateful APIs.

The tricky part is usually the type system...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

>> Sweet. I haven't taken the time to figure out how they unify the
>> functional with all the stateful OO libraries.
>
> The real world is stateful. Almost all functional languages must have a
> strategy for dealing with real-world state. Just apply the same
> technique (whatever it is) to dealing with stateful APIs.

Well, yes, except I suspect that's not how F# does it. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)