POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Nice reflective sphere ... Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:23:11 EDT (-0400)
  Nice reflective sphere ... (Message 21 to 30 of 44)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Nice reflective sphere ...
Date: 13 Oct 2009 11:31:22
Message: <4ad49d4a@news.povray.org>
> Warp schrieb:

> >   According to wikipedia, one liter of pure water at 4 degrees celsius (the
> > standard temperature for measuring SI units) is 0.9999720 kilograms.

> That's because the /initial/ definition of the kilogram was one liter of
> pure water at /zero/ degrees celsius.

  At zero? I don't think so. At zero celsius water freezes, after which one
litre of it weights a whole lot less than one kilogram.

> And yes, a /change/ of 0.003% would be a /tremendous/ catastrophe.

  To what?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 13 Oct 2009 12:17:00
Message: <4ad4a7fc$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> Darren New schrieb:
>
>> 0K is unreachable even in theory.
>
> It may provide just as good a base for actual experiments as specifying
> any other temperature;

Sure. It's just something you can't *even in theory* measure perfectly. :-)
You could, in theory, get a liter of water so pure there are no other
molecules in it. Theory says you can't get a cesium atom down to 0K. I just
found that amusing, is all.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)