POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Inspect DLL Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:21:28 EDT (-0400)
  Inspect DLL (Message 61 to 61 of 61)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Inspect DLL
Date: 27 Oct 2009 07:15:07
Message: <4ae6d63b@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> I found a DLL called autodisk.dll which exports half a dozen functions
>> and hundreds of COM methods and properties. I found several other DLLs
>> which apparently export... absolutely nothing. (Why do they exist then?)
>
> Just been reading about .net assemblies, these are also saved as .dll
> files but won't expose any "traditional" functions, maybe you found some
> of these too.  BTW the .net assemblies contain type and parameter info
> in the .dll file, so with a suitable tool (or with a few commands from a
> .net language) you can find out what's in there.

Yeah, after reading about the whole PE file format, it becomes clear
that the exported symbols are just one mere table inside the file, and
there can in fact be an arbitrary number of others. That's why a resouce
editor shows one thing, a DLL inspector shows another, and no doubt the
.NET inspector tools show something else again. There's no limit to how
much data you can shove into a PE file. (Which is a good thing, really...)