POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Babbage Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:24:58 EDT (-0400)
  Babbage (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Invisible
Subject: Babbage
Date: 8 Oct 2009 10:07:01
Message: <4acdf205$1@news.povray.org>
I mentioned a few days ago that I visited the London Science Museum and
saw half of Babbage's brain in a pickling jar.

Well, I just found out where the other half is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babbage

"Half of Babbage's brain is preserved at the Hunterian Museum in the
Royal College of Surgeons in London."

Now, I wonder which museum has the logical, analytical half of his
brain? ;-)

Post a reply to this message

>I mentioned a few days ago that I visited the London Science Museum and saw
>half of Babbage's brain in a pickling jar.
>
> Well, I just found out where the other half is:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babbage
>
> "Half of Babbage's brain is preserved at the Hunterian Museum in the Royal
> College of Surgeons in London."
>
> Now, I wonder which museum has the logical, analytical half of his brain?
> ;-)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/head_first_only/3776072152/
It looks like the left half (IIRC the analytical one) is at the London
Science Museum

A quote from the wikipedia article :
  a.. Babbage once contacted the poet Alfred Tennyson in response to his
poem "The Vision of Sin". Babbage wrote, "In your otherwise beautiful poem,
one verse reads,
    Every moment dies a man,
    Every moment one is born.
   ... If this were true, the population of the world would be at a
standstill. In truth, the rate of birth is slightly in excess of that of
death. I would suggest [that the next version of your poem should read]:
    Every moment dies a man,
    Every moment 1 1/16 is born.
  Strictly speaking, the actual figure is so long I cannot get it into a
line, but I believe the figure 1 1/16 will be sufficiently accurate for
poetry."
ROTFL  it inspired T. Pratchett ?  :D

Post a reply to this message