POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tabbing Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:19:03 EDT (-0400)
  Tabbing (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Invisible
Subject: Tabbing
Date: 23 Sep 2009 11:06:56
Message: <4aba3990@news.povray.org>
As some of you may know, LaTeX features a "tabbing" environment that
allows you to do complex horizontal alignment. Stuff like having nested
statements, and having the various clauses all line up vertically.

Does anybody know of a way to do this in HTML?

(I found a fleeting reference here:

http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html3/tabs.html

Unfortunately, the technique described doesn't actually work.)

Post a reply to this message

> Does anybody know of a way to do this in HTML?

It depends on exactly waht you want. Remember that LaTeX has a fixed page
size and a fixed font size. If you just want the result in HTML, for
example, you could just position each character with absolute coordinates,
but I don't expect that's what you mean.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

>> Does anybody know of a way to do this in HTML?
>
> It depends on exactly waht you want. Remember that LaTeX has a fixed
> page size and a fixed font size. If you just want the result in HTML,
> for example, you could just position each character with absolute
> coordinates, but I don't expect that's what you mean.

Actually, the page size and font size in LaTeX are both editable, as far
the font metrics, and yet the layout algorithm can still cope.

Now obviously I *could* do some horrendous thing with multiple nested
tables, and it would work. But is there a better way?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> As some of you may know, LaTeX features a "tabbing" environment that
> allows you to do complex horizontal alignment. Stuff like having nested
> statements, and having the various clauses all line up vertically.
>
> Does anybody know of a way to do this in HTML?

You mean, without resorting to tables?

Post a reply to this message

> As some of you may know, LaTeX features a "tabbing" environment that
> allows you to do complex horizontal alignment. Stuff like having nested
> statements, and having the various clauses all line up vertically.
>
> Does anybody know of a way to do this in HTML?

Hmm, what about nested <ul>s? Something like:

<ul>
   <li>This statement is always true.</li>
   <ul>
     <li>That can lead to this...</li>
     <li>And implies that.</li>
   </ul>
   <li>But sometimes...</li>
   <ul>
     <li>Thus rendering the above useless.</li>
   </ul>
   <li>Nothing is true anymore!</li>
</ul>

you may then format this with css.