POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Google stereotypes Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:23:19 EDT (-0400)
  Google stereotypes (Message 11 to 20 of 48)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Google stereotypes
Date: 24 Sep 2009 05:12:34
Message: <4abb3802$1@news.povray.org>
>> I've often wondered why *all* the genius programmers are always Finnish
>> or Sweedish or Polish or... any European nationallity except English.
>
>   I don't think that's true. For instance, surprisingly many game companies
> are, in fact, British.

Certainly back in the Amiga days, all the really visionary software
seemed to be written by people with names you can't pronounce.

OctaMED lets you play 8 sounds at once even though the hardware only
supports 4. Who wrote that? One Finnish guy, single-handedly.

Somebody replaces the standard system requesters with something much
more ergonomic. Who wrote that? Hungarian guy.

AMOS is a BASIC dialect with comprehensive multimedia support. Who came
up with that? French guy.

(Mind you, it's rival Blitz Basic was designed by a New Zeland company.)

Pegger intercepts OS calls to turn any program that supports IFF ILBM
files into one that supports JPEG files. (Back when JPEG was still
brand-new.) Who did that? A German company.

>   Anyways, one could come up with tons of cum hoc ergo propter hoc reasons
> why some countries seem to produce more programmers and software companies
> than others. Maybe it's the education system, culture, economic model,
> national identity, secularism, work morale (think of Japan, for instance),
> or numerous other reasons.

Unfortunately, in the UK it seems to currently be "trendy" to be stupid.
It's decidedly uncool to know stuff, especially about mathematics and
science. I wonder if there are countries where people actually take
pride in mathematical skill?

Post a reply to this message