POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Insight? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:12:38 EDT (-0400)
  Insight? (Message 1 to 10 of 40)
From: Invisible
Subject: Insight?
Date: 14 Sep 2009 04:52:51
Message: <4aae0463$1@news.povray.org>
Hey, check it out. On the front page of the latest Insight UK catalogue,

USB Flash Drive.

Wow. 8MB. Now I'm wondering if that's a typo, or if they really are
giving away tiny flash drives...

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Insight?
Date: 14 Sep 2009 05:41:11
Message: <4aae0fb7$1@news.povray.org>
Elsewhere in the catalogue, I found this:

   HP ProLiant DL160 G5p
   1x 2.0 GHz Quad-Core Xeon E5405
   4GB RAM (16GB max)
   4 SATA bays (not hot-swap)
   1x 160GB SATA drive

Now I don't know about you, but 8 Xeon cores in a rack-mount server for

about twice that price! (Although it does have hot-swap bays and a few
percent higher clock speed.)

Some of the HP stuff is expandable up to stupid figures like 144GB RAM.
I have no idea who the hell needs 144GB of RAM, but I'm not one of them
(yet). Most of the desktop systems have 1GB of RAM, which seems a little
tight for running Vista. (A few of the pricey ones have 2GB, but nothing
higher except in "workstations" and "servers".)

Interestingly, almost nothing listed has multiple processors. I guess
that's more a reflection of which products they choose to list in the
catelogue; it's not a complete listing, only a sampling.

Also interesting is that the HP stuff tends to give you by far the most

for HP only making over-prived "premium" stuff...

Post a reply to this message

> Now I don't know about you, but 8 Xeon cores in a rack-mount server for

Congratulations. You can't count.

Post a reply to this message

> Hey, check it out. On the front page of the latest Insight UK catalogue,

> USB Flash Drive.
>
> Wow. 8MB. Now I'm wondering if that's a typo, or if they really are
> giving away tiny flash drives...

Ah. On page 200 the offer is repeated, except that this time they claim
it's an 8GB stick.

So yeah, it's a typo.

Post a reply to this message