POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mysteries of the universe Server Time
9 Oct 2024 09:16:44 EDT (-0400)
  Mysteries of the universe (Message 91 to 100 of 223)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Mysteries of the universe
Date: 3 Sep 2009 16:14:20
Message: <4aa0239c$1@news.povray.org>
>> IIRC, in Turbo Pascal, position 0 is the length. (And since it's a
>> single byte, no strings longer than 255 characters...)
>
> Yep, Turbo Pascal stored the length rather than using the C method of
> null-terminating the string.

...with the disadvantage of having a maximum string size, and the
advantage of making certain memory management operations much easier...

Ah, the days of plain ASCII, before anybody spoke of Unicode. Hey, wait
a sec - C is *still* back in the days of plain ASCII...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 21:14:27 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> IIRC, in Turbo Pascal, position 0 is the length. (And since it's a
>>> single byte, no strings longer than 255 characters...)
>>
>> Yep, Turbo Pascal stored the length rather than using the C method of
>> null-terminating the string.
>
> ...with the disadvantage of having a maximum string size, and the
> advantage of making certain memory management operations much easier...

Yep.

> Ah, the days of plain ASCII, before anybody spoke of Unicode. Hey, wait
> a sec - C is *still* back in the days of plain ASCII...

Not with a good unicode library. ;-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message