POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mysteries of the universe Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:19:06 EDT (-0400)
  Mysteries of the universe (Message 84 to 93 of 223)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Mysteries of the universe
Date: 3 Sep 2009 13:31:47
Message: <4a9ffd83$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New schrieb:
> scott wrote:
>> Anyway, take 200 metres of this stuff (which I make weighs 10 tons):
>> http://www.csunitec.com/saws/new-river-band-saw.html
>
> Cool. It doesn't really look that big from the ground, does it?

Those are cables for underground power transmission. They need an awful
lot of insulation I bet. So overhead lines are likely to be a good deal
thinner. The German Wikipedia mentions a typical cross-section of 60
mm^2 of steel surrounded by 257 mm^2 of aluminum, so the diameter should
be close to 20 mm.

Post a reply to this message