POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mysteries of the universe Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:28:11 EDT (-0400)
  Mysteries of the universe (Message 51 to 60 of 223)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Mysteries of the universe
Date: 3 Sep 2009 05:39:36
Message: <4a9f8ed8@news.povray.org>
scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> It's just the dull grey of aluminium oxide you are seeing on the outer
> surface.  If you looked close and polished them a bit you'd see nice shiny
> aluminium :-)

  What stops the aluminum from oxidizing all the way through?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 3 Sep 2009 05:45:00
Message: <web.4a9f8f4e39795a726dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
"scott" <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> > And isn't alumina pretty much transparent at the thicknesses it's likely
> > reach in ambient conditions?
>
> Having had a car with bare aluminium panels, I can tell you that it quickly
> goes dull grey if you don't polish it :-)  I have no idea what the thickness
> is, but it certainly is visibly very different.

Ah, fair enough, I must be thinking of something else.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 3 Sep 2009 05:53:00
Message: <4f4v95pmd5r7u9nckpkpcbaj5da16ronu2@4ax.com>
On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 10:13:50 +0100, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

>You're aware that those cables are carrying several *million* volts?

No.
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 3 Sep 2009 05:56:32
Message: <th4v95991esjk1lqjkcru42hb0nlsqsejr@4ax.com>
On 3 Sep 2009 05:39:36 -0400, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
>> It's just the dull grey of aluminium oxide you are seeing on the outer
>> surface.  If you looked close and polished them a bit you'd see nice shiny
>> aluminium :-)
>
>  What stops the aluminum from oxidizing all the way through?

Aluminium oxide. Aluminium is so reactive that it almost instantly forms a skin
of aluminium oxide which insulates it from the surrounding air stopping it from
oxidising further.
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> > It's just the dull grey of aluminium oxide you are seeing on the outer
> > surface.  If you looked close and polished them a bit you'd see nice shiny
> > aluminium :-)
>
>   What stops the aluminum from oxidizing all the way through?

The initial oxide layer. It slows further oxygen access to the bulk beneath.
Aluminium oxide is particularly effective at this - many high-temperature
alloys are designed with this phenomenon in mind.

Post a reply to this message