POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mysteries of the universe Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:18:03 EDT (-0400)
  Mysteries of the universe (Message 124 to 133 of 223)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Mysteries of the universe
Date: 4 Sep 2009 04:53:01
Message: <lal1a519i8m02cqh4ckdkvk9tcgjrligrc@4ax.com>
On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 20:15:36 -0700, Chambers <Ben### [at] gmailcom>
wrote:

>Stephen wrote:
>> There are insulators between the cables and pylons so there is no path for the
>> electricity to flow there. The conductors are spaced far enough apart so that
>> the electricity cannot jump between them. This is called engineering. ;)
>
>I always assumed the cables themselves were insulated.
>
>Seriously, are we running uninsulated wires above our roadways?!?!? :o

I'll repost this link again but going straight to the relevant paragraph.
http://tinyurl.com/ls34v4

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 4 Sep 2009 04:56:24
Message: <5cl1a5t7b76vjpsp687ihft8nts5tclg43@4ax.com>
On 3 Sep 2009 20:58:25 -0400, Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:

>>>Because the bare wire isn't exposed, it's insulated.
>>
>> Not on this side of the pond, Jim.
>
>Interesting, I hadn't noticed that - but I hadn't really thought to
>look. :-)

Do so and report back ;)

>> I think he means jump or track to.
>
>Yeah, but it still would want to go to ground, and the water doesn't
>provide a grounding influence that's stronger than staying with the wire.

Not necessarily, remember power transmission is 3 phase and the path could be
between phases.
--

Regards
     Stephen