POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What I'm learning about open source Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:18:43 EDT (-0400)
  What I'm learning about open source (Message 1 to 10 of 67)
From: Darren New
Subject: What I'm learning about open source
Date: 24 Aug 2009 23:55:38
Message: <4a9360ba$1@news.povray.org>
When a project, no matter how well known, is still at 0.xxx after six years,
it's probably because it really does actually still suck to the point where
you don't want to try to use it in a professional setting.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Understanding the structure of the universe

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 20:55:37 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> When a project, no matter how well known, is still at 0.xxx after six
> years, it's probably because it really does actually still suck to the
> point where you don't want to try to use it in a professional setting.

I've not found that to be the case consistently.  The newsreader I use,
for example, is at version 0.133 currently, and it generally does a very
good job.

Version numbers in OSS, like commercial software, are nothing more than
marketing tools.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> I've not found that to be the case consistently.  The newsreader I use,
> for example, is at version 0.133 currently, and it generally does a very
> good job.

Would you build a commercial product around it? :-)

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 21:43:53 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> I've not found that to be the case consistently.  The newsreader I use,
>> for example, is at version 0.133 currently, and it generally does a
>> very good job.
>
> Would you build a commercial product around it? :-)

As it's included in commercial distributions, the question seems somewhat
moot to me. ;-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> As it's included in commercial distributions,

Commercial distributions of Linux?  That doesn't count. The more broken it
is, the more money they make.