POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I have a great idea! Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:24:06 EDT (-0400)
  I have a great idea! (Message 18 to 27 of 37)
From: Chambers
Subject: Re: I have a great idea!
Date: 24 Aug 2009 02:03:55
Message: <4a922d4b$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> nemesis schrieb:
>> At least until very recently V-Ray used regular biased backwards
>> raytracing with
>> photon mapping, except incredibly optimized.  Perhaps those speckles
>> in the
>> video have simply something to do with the GPU calculating an insane
>> amount of
>> rays and rendering pixels out of order?
>
> Well, maybe they're artifacts of the photon mapping; that would appear
> to be quite fitting.

They're artifacts of forward based monte-carlo GI.

The idea is something along the lines of, every time you need to take a
light sample, you just shoot one randomly (rather than POV's method of
using many surrounding samples) and deal with it.  Thus, the speckles.

The next step is to re-render the scene, and average the results with
the previous.  For this reason, images rendered in this manner show a
full scene quite quickly but with horrible quality, while the longer you
leave them running the more they resolve into high quality images.

You can see this in the video as things get really crappy when they move
the camera, and resolve into higher quality when they don't.

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message

If that's MCPov quality output (it's hard to tell from that video alone)
then it's pretty awesome speed.  The models used in the video there are
pretty huge in terms of triangle-count, it seems they have a pretty
efficient GPU GI renderer there :-)

Post a reply to this message

> They're artifacts of forward based monte-carlo GI.
>
> The idea is something along the lines of, every time you need to take a
> light sample, you just shoot one randomly (rather than POV's method of
> using many surrounding samples) and deal with it.  Thus, the speckles.
>
> The next step is to re-render the scene, and average the results with
> the previous.  For this reason, images rendered in this manner show a
> full scene quite quickly but with horrible quality, while the longer you
> leave them running the more they resolve into high quality images.
>
> You can see this in the video as things get really crappy when they move
> the camera, and resolve into higher quality when they don't.

Maybe now we'll start seeing games with a "night vision mode" that
actually works the same way as real night vision? (I.e., not just a
normal render pass with a noise filter applied afterwards.)

Post a reply to this message