POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : POVRay's Phishing Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:16:08 EDT (-0400)
  POVRay's Phishing (Message 11 to 19 of 19)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: POVRay's Phishing
Date: 18 Aug 2009 09:26:04
Message: <4a8aabec$1@news.povray.org>
> Or better phrased: "Your computer does not having a draconian, and
> completely arbitrary device designed soley to prevent access to websites
> on the internet."
>
> Google's cached pages are extremely helpful, btw.

For every system, there is a way out. ;-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 18 Aug 2009 11:38:25
Message: <4a8acaf1$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> For every system, there is a way out. ;-)

I saw a great suggestion to pass the URL to google and ask it to translate
from English to English. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."

From: Invisible
Date: 18 Aug 2009 11:46:07
Message: <4a8accbf$1@news.povray.org>
>> For every system, there is a way out. ;-)
>
> I saw a great suggestion to pass the URL to google and ask it to
> translate from English to English. :-)

You're assuming this would be an identity transform; I'm not so sure.

Ever tried asking Google to translate from X to Y and then from Y back
to X again? Exhibit A:

   "Leave the impact price-increase your body."

Good luck figuring out what that was *before* Google mangled it! ;-)

Post a reply to this message

>>> For every system, there is a way out. ;-)
>>
>> I saw a great suggestion to pass the URL to google and ask it to
>> translate from English to English. :-)
>
> You're assuming this would be an identity transform; I'm not so sure.

Apparently at the time it was. However, google seems to have blocked this
trick, probably not wanting to be a proxy for everyone's blocked web sites.

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 16:46:07 +0100, Invisible wrote:

> Ever tried asking Google to translate from X to Y and then from Y back
> to X again?

Frequently - when using Google Translate, I often do that to see if what
I get back resembles what I meant. :-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

>>> I saw a great suggestion to pass the URL to google and ask it to
>>> translate from English to English. :-)
>>
>> You're assuming this would be an identity transform; I'm not so sure.
>
> Apparently at the time it was. However, google seems to have blocked
> this trick, probably not wanting to be a proxy for everyone's blocked
> web sites.

Wasn't there a site somewhere which takes a website and mirrors it? As
in, turns it into a mirror image?

Then there's Google caches and the Wayback Machine. (Both fail to give
you up-to-date pages, of course.)

Or you can buy an ancient laptop, install Linux, plug it into the
Internet, and use that as your own personal SSL-encrypted proxy. ;-)

Post a reply to this message

> Then there's Google caches and the Wayback Machine. (Both fail to give
> you up-to-date pages, of course.)

  	  The requested page is currently unavailable  Your organization has
chosen to limit viewing of this site (http://www.archive.org/), due to
the rating of its content (anonymizer).

:rolleyes: First I heard of a site that gives access to old web pages
being a anonymizer.

> Or you can buy an ancient laptop, install Linux, plug it into the
> Internet, and use that as your own personal SSL-encrypted proxy. ;-)

Hmmm.. :-D

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message