POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : povray.off-topic.politics ? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:10:17 EDT (-0400)
  povray.off-topic.politics ? (Message 11 to 11 of 11)
From: Daniel Bastos
Subject: Re: povray.off-topic.politics ?
Date: 15 Aug 2009 08:34:09
Message: <4a86ab41$1@news.povray.org>
In article <4a863b7f$1@news.povray.org>,
Neeum Zawan wrote:

> On 08/14/09 18:03, Daniel Bastos wrote:
>> I use slrn, and in reality slrn doesn't even ignore threads
>> either. But with the scoring mecanism, you can easily separate the
>> threads you participate. That's a must in any reader. Outlook express
>> does that by default by pressing C-H. That's nice. Simple things.
>
> 	I believe that's the same as gnus. You can give a rank/score to a
> subthread, and if you do it properly, it's pretty much the same as
> killing it.

Yeah, and scoring must be the most flexible scheme.

>>> 	I know gnus does. One day, within the next ten years or so, I'll switch
>>> both email and newsgroup reading to gnus.
>>
>> I was never able to do that. I do compose mail in emacs; so it always
>> made sense to me to use gnus. But I never made it. I don't know why;
>> slrn however seemed quite natural.
>
> 	gnus seems like a huge headache to learn.

And, also, you need to accept the framework, and learn to live with it
which I believe I did not. I think that when I was using gnus, I
sometimes would kill the connection to the nntpd, and later try to do
something on the article buffer, and obviously it wouldn't work. Stuff
like that.

Also, eventually, I'd have lots of buffers open, and it would be
difficult to find my own text ones, so using emacs was becoming
surfing through buffers. So I realized I needed to train myself in
that, and then I thought the whole thing was defeating the purpose of
using gnus.

There's also the conclusion I reached some time. The most important
thing in a news client is the text editor; if you can't compose
properly, forget it.

But also, you want some simplicity in running it, subscribing, surfing
through threads, searching, et cetera. And, you know, if you look at a
program like ``mail'', that's a fine mail client if all the mail in
the world is us-ascii and you compose replies with your favorite
editor.

Oh, what about filters, and mail lists? Filtering can be done before
you read mail. Mail lists should be managed by your local gmane guy,
or in qmail style which is just another kind of filtering. So I don't
consider these points. (Once firefox allowed me to call an external
editor, I began using webmails, and I have not been unhappy. I don't
like reading mail on the web, but I'm living with that for now.)

So, well, slrn seems to be that for NNTP. (Apparently the s-lang
language makes slrn quite flexible.)