POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New Computer Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:13:00 EDT (-0400)
  New Computer (Message 31 to 40 of 79)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: New Computer
Date: 14 Aug 2009 02:31:47
Message: <4a8504d3@news.povray.org>
Chambers schrieb:
> Still, it's my first quad core machine, and I'm excited about it :)

You have reason enough to be. Two months ago, I was still working with a
P4, and was still so excited about the AMD Phenom 2 I had bought half a
year ago (as a dedicated Linux/POV-Ray rendering machine :-P) that I was
about to opt for another Phenom for Windows work, too (for a less
frustrating modelling experience :-)). Fortunately the guy at the local
store talked me into buying an i7 instead, but I'm convinced the Phenom
would have done about as well for quite a few years, too, and I would
have left me just as excited ;-)

If it wasn't for the modelling and raytracing, I could have lived
happily with that P4 for another year or two: It's just about the
computing power I needed for everything else, including software
development. If it wasn't for games, I'd say a fast P4 (I had already
upgraded it to the fastest I could get) is as much computing power as
any sane person could possibly need.

... and we have way over 4 times that power on or under our desks - Gee!

Post a reply to this message