POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : License or Licence? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:19:12 EDT (-0400)
  License or Licence? (Message 1 to 10 of 19)
From: Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay
Subject: License or Licence?
Date: 4 Aug 2009 15:49:00
Message: <4a7890ac$1@news.povray.org>
In the US, it's always "License" all the time.  In the UK and Canada, it
depends on whether it's a noun (Licence) or verb (License).  Not sure about
Australia, but I'd guess they follow the UK's advice.

So, what is the correct spelling if I'm posting here?

What if I'm posting to a UK based Web Forum?  What if the server is located
in the UK, but 99% of the posters are American?  What if it's an equal mix
of Americans and Brits?

Do I always spell with an "S" because I'm from America and that's just how
we do it?  George W. Bush would probably say "Yes", but I'm not so sure.

Then there are all of the other spellings of words like "centre" and
"colour", but if you spell those, everyone knows you're not American, but if
you spell it "Licence", we just think you can't spell.

...and while I'm at it, has anyone else noticed that "then" has begun
replacing "than" at an alarming rate?  I used to see this mistake once in
awhile, but lately, I see it on every forum I visit, even places where you'd
only expect to see highly educated posters.  It baffles me.

Please don't take this post too seriously...  ;-)

Post a reply to this message

> ...and while I'm at it, has anyone else noticed that "then" has begun
> replacing "than" at an alarming rate?  I used to see this mistake once in
> awhile, but lately, I see it on every forum I visit, even places where you'd
> only expect to see highly educated posters.  It baffles me.

Yes, must be a sort of virus. But it seems to me that the symptoms are
not specifically limited to "then" vs. "than", but generally
transferring the spelling of one word to another that sounds virtually
identical.

Some even don't seem to know how to properly spell such common words as
"goti".

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 4 Aug 2009 17:18:54
Message: <4A78A5BD.2070500@hotmail.com>
On 4-8-2009 22:44, clipka wrote:
> Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay schrieb:
>> ...and while I'm at it, has anyone else noticed that "then" has begun
>> replacing "than" at an alarming rate?  I used to see this mistake once
>> in awhile, but lately, I see it on every forum I visit, even places
>> where you'd only expect to see highly educated posters.  It baffles me.
>>
> Yes, must be a sort of virus. But it seems to me that the symptoms are
> not specifically limited to "then" vs. "than", but generally
> transferring the spelling of one word to another that sounds virtually
> identical.
>
> Some even don't seem to know how to properly spell such common words as
> "goti".

or ghoti. Though here is something quite satisfying in the goti spelling
too.

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 4 Aug 2009 20:33:51
Message: <4a78d36f$1@news.povray.org>
andrel schrieb:
> On 4-8-2009 22:44, clipka wrote:
>> Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay schrieb:
>>> ...and while I'm at it, has anyone else noticed that "then" has
>>> begun replacing "than" at an alarming rate?  I used to see this
>>> mistake once in awhile, but lately, I see it on every forum I visit,
>>> even places where you'd only expect to see highly educated posters.
>>> It baffles me.
>>>
>> Yes, must be a sort of virus. But it seems to me that the symptoms
>> are not specifically limited to "then" vs. "than", but generally
>> transferring the spelling of one word to another that sounds
>> virtually identical.
>>
>> Some even don't seem to know how to properly spell such common words
>> as "goti".
>
> or ghoti. Though here is something quite satisfying in the goti
> spelling too.
I told you some don't seem to know how to properly spell it :-P

Post a reply to this message

From: Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay
Date: 5 Aug 2009 08:30:11
Message: <4a797b53$1@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote in message
> andrel schrieb:
>>>>
>>> Yes, must be a sort of virus. But it seems to me that the symptoms are
>>> not specifically limited to "then" vs. "than", but generally
>>> transferring the spelling of one word to another that sounds virtually
>>> identical.
>>>
>>> Some even don't seem to know how to properly spell such common words as
>>> "goti".
>>
>> or ghoti. Though here is something quite satisfying in the goti spelling
>> too.
> I told you some don't seem to know how to properly spell it :-P
"Ahoot Ghotiing"

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 5 Aug 2009 13:28:43
Message: <4a79c14b@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay schrieb:
>> ...and while I'm at it, has anyone else noticed that "then" has begun
>> replacing "than" at an alarming rate?  I used to see this mistake once in
>> awhile, but lately, I see it on every forum I visit, even places where
>> you'd
>> only expect to see highly educated posters.  It baffles me.
>>
> Yes, must be a sort of virus. But it seems to me that the symptoms are
> not specifically limited to "then" vs. "than", but generally
> transferring the spelling of one word to another that sounds virtually
> identical.

"could of" instead of "could have" makes smoke come out of my brain each
time I read it.

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike the Elder
Date: 6 Aug 2009 12:10:00
Message: <web.4a7af02945bbe14685627c70@news.povray.org>
"Jeremy \"UncleHoot\" Praay" <jer### [at] questsoftwarecmo> wrote:
> In the US, it's always "License" all the time.  In the UK and Canada, it
> depends on whether it's a noun (Licence) or verb (License).  Not sure about
> Australia, but I'd guess they follow the UK's advice.
>
> So, what is the correct spelling if I'm posting here?
>
> What if I'm posting to a UK based Web Forum?  What if the server is located
> in the UK, but 99% of the posters are American?  What if it's an equal mix
> of Americans and Brits?
>
> Do I always spell with an "S" because I'm from America and that's just how
> we do it?  George W. Bush would probably say "Yes", but I'm not so sure.
>
> Then there are all of the other spellings of words like "centre" and
> "colour", but if you spell those, everyone knows you're not American, but if
> you spell it "Licence", we just think you can't spell.
>
> ...and while I'm at it, has anyone else noticed that "then" has begun
> replacing "than" at an alarming rate?  I used to see this mistake once in
> awhile, but lately, I see it on every forum I visit, even places where you'd
> only expect to see highly educated posters.  It baffles me.
>
> Please don't take this post too seriously...  ;-)

My vote is in favor of preserving the distinction between the noun and the verb.
This is, however, a mere stylistic preference. Since it is rather unlikely that
context would fail to establish whether the term "license" is being used as a
noun or a verb, I can see no serious reason why you should not go ahead and use
which ever version you feel most comfortable with. Similarly, one might just as
well use either "color" or "colour" according to personal preference.

"Then" and "than", however, are two different words with entirely different
meanings. Irritation at one being used in place of the other is fully
justified.

My two pet peeves in this area the frequent use of the non-words "irregardless"
and "donut" by people who really ought to know better and the mistaken
inclusion of these terms in the word lists of numerous software spelling
checkers. (One acts either with regard for a given factor or regardless of that
factor. "Irregardless" is a nonsense term.  Torus-shaped pastries are made from
"dough", not "do".)

Few events in history have been scarier than "nuclear" weapons coming under the
control of someone who could not pronounce the term correctly. (Fortunately,
this individual has been dispresidentified.)

Among the many interesting things that I learned for the excellent television
series, "The Story of English", is that the notion that each English word
should have exactly one correct and unvarying spelling is far more American
than British in origin.  I believe that individual writers should earnestly
seek a constructive and rational balance between formal correctness and the
creative possibilities opened up by embracing evolving and experimental forms.
While correctness for correctness' sake is often little more than an attempt to
cloak cultural prejudice in an aura of respectability, there is also room for
legitimate concern that the language that we as a society rely upon for
meaningful discourse not go the way of Lewis Carroll's Humpty Dumpty.

Generally, I try to follow the guideline that advocates accepting variations in
usage that reflect informed exercise of free will on the part of the author,
while challenging those that represent a lack of understanding or coherence.
Discerning which is which is often a judgment call wherein one ought to be duly
mindful of one's own fallibility.

Best Regards Two Y'all,
Mike C.

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike the Elder
Date: 6 Aug 2009 12:25:01
Message: <web.4a7b02dc45bbe14685627c70@news.povray.org>
I mistyped:

> Among the many interesting things that I learned **for** the excellent
> televisionseries, "The Story of English", is that the notion that each
>English word...

Arrrrgh! Of course I meant "learned FROM".
Proofread much, Mike?

;-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Raiford
Date: 6 Aug 2009 14:03:10
Message: <4a7b1ade$1@news.povray.org>
Mike the Elder wrote:

> Arrrrgh! Of course I meant "learned FROM".
> Proofread much, Mike?

No, I don't. Why do you ask? :D

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay
Date: 6 Aug 2009 15:26:30
Message: <4a7b2e66$1@news.povray.org>
"Mike the Elder" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
> My two pet peeves in this area the frequent use of the non-words
> "irregardless"
> and "donut" by people who really ought to know better and the mistaken
> inclusion of these terms in the word lists of numerous software spelling
> checkers. (One acts either with regard for a given factor or regardless of
> that
> factor. "Irregardless" is a nonsense term.  Torus-shaped pastries are made
> from
> "dough", not "do".)

"Irregardless"  Yes!  It annoys me to death.
"Donut" I find acceptable, however, as it's a shortcut, similar to "thru".
It may even be acceptable now.

> Few events in history have been scarier than "nuclear" weapons coming
> under the
> control of someone who could not pronounce the term correctly.
> (Fortunately,
> this individual has been dispresidentified.)
Did you mean Carter or Eisenhower?

Yes, I know who you meant, but Carter was the first President that I recall
pronouncing it incorrectly.