POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tell me it isn't so! Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:21:16 EDT (-0400)
  Tell me it isn't so! (Message 354 to 363 of 473)
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Subject: Re: Tell me it isn't so!
Date: 28 Jul 2009 23:08:29
Message: <4a6fbd2d@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Warp wrote:
>> you could do a "GOTO xyz" where xyz was a variable.
>
> What, ON GOTO and ON GOSUB weren't good enough for you? :-)

What, no COMEFROM?

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 28 Jul 2009 23:24:33
Message: <4a6fc0f0@news.povray.org>

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 28 Jul 2009 23:24:33
Message: <4a6fc0f1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> Visual Basic, too, might not have gained such popularity, had it not been
> chosen as the scripting language for the most popular office package. And
> who would be talking about JavaScript, had it not been the first scripting
> language to be integrated in a web browser?
>
> (And who would ever have heard of POV-Ray SDL if it wasn't bundled with
> the POV-Ray raytracer? ;))

And who would have ever heard of Ruby if someone hadn't made a web framework
with it?

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Subject: Re: Tell me it isn't C
Date: 28 Jul 2009 23:41:32
Message: <4a6fc4ec@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> I've always wondered why people think C is good for writing kernel-level
> code, as the only facility in C that actually deals with the sorts of
> things you do in a kernel is "volatile".

http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/volatile-considered-harmful.txt

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 28 Jul 2009 23:44:28
Message: <4a6fc59b@news.povray.org>

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 28 Jul 2009 23:44:44
Message: <4a6fc5ab@news.povray.org>

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 28 Jul 2009 23:45:52
Message: <4a6fc5f0@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:

> Darren New wrote:
>> I've always wondered why people think C is good for writing kernel-level
>> code, as the only facility in C that actually deals with the sorts of
>> things you do in a kernel is "volatile".

http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/volatile-considered-harmful.txt

Argh! Stupid newsreader segfaulting right before saving the message list,
then on restart thinking the message wasn't sent yet and sending it again.

Post a reply to this message

>>> you could do a "GOTO xyz" where xyz was a variable.
>> What, ON GOTO and ON GOSUB weren't good enough for you? :-)
>
> What, no COMEFROM?

Actually, the problem with GOTO is not the GOTO, but the label. If you added
a COMEFROM, you'd actually have a much easier time figuring out the code.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."